Electricity to outbuilding

Not true. Electricians do not have a monopoly. Anyone can do this work but it has to be tested and notified.
Yes, that is correct if the proper building notice is raised first, and the “anyone” has the competence and equipment to design, install and test all of this to the relate to standards.
With respect to the OP, I had judged that his level of competence might be lacking in some areas as he was planning to lay in 25mm² cable and then connect it in some way to sockets at the back of the house!
But thank you for your helpful interjection.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your thanks. But you didn’t absorb what you read. I told you that RJ45 is a plug/socket system. There is no such thing as a RJ45 cable.

I call it a cable mate, yes you're right the ends are made up of rj45 connectors..

More specifically i wanted to know if laying them in the same trench with other services would cause and degrading effects.

The insulation on CAT5 or 6 cable is generally only rated at 100V so cannot be run in the same duct as cables carrying 230V Mains. Same trench OK, but you will need a cable duct for the data cable. If the separation between the SWA and the data cable is <100mm then the data cable must be separated by a fire retardant partition (528.2) The SWA can sit directly in the ground.

Also, running mains and signal cables close together over any sort of distance can cause data errors (balanced line transmission not withstanding).

Sponsored Links

Could be - the regs don't specify thought they do give clay as an example. Key thing is not to lay them directly next to each other. You can get armoured cat-5 and cat-6 cables, which would not need a duct.

one solution might be to use armoured cat-n cable, and put the swa and the cat-n in the same trench with a row of bricks between them.

RJ45 is a plug socket not a cable.
Are you gas safe registered?
Don’t know gas regs but I doubt you can use the same trench.
Of course you can put them in the same trench, Housing developers do it all the time...
Trench the size of the smallest digger bucket on site. In goes 110mm sewer, blue water, yellow gas, telephone, Virgin fibre, possibly 110mm drain. Or whatever is going in, quick flick with the digger bucket and all covered over pronto.

Last edited:
Rubbish. What I said was true.
Oh grow up Winston PLEASE.
I work with all sorts of cables on a daily basis and it is very common for someone to ask for a RJ45 cable or 20 metre XLR cable or 3 metre BNC cable or 30ft 15A cable or... shall I go on?

5teves knew exactly what he was talking about.
I knew exactly what 5teves was talking about.
Everybody on this thread knew exactly what 5teves was talking about...
OH dear me no, I forgot, there is one idiot who did not understand and as always that idiot comes up with useless unproductive comments.

Last edited:
Of course you can put them in the same trench, Housing developers do it all the time...
Trench the size of the smallest digger bucket on site. In goes 110mm sewer, blue water, yellow gas, telephone, Virgin fibre, possibly 110mm drain. Or whatever is going in, quick flick with the digger bucket and all covered over pronto.

Wow really?

There so much conflicting information when ever I've ask anyone in the trade. For me personally, my main worry wehther the network cables have a interference due to the electric cable,

and also what scares me about the gas and electric being so close together is, say if some after me was digging away with out any knowlege what lay beneath, and go through both the electric and gas in one hit..... BOOM.
Thats a worrying thought i must be honest.

Am i being over cautious?

Wow really?

There so much conflicting information when ever I've ask anyone in the trade. For me personally, my main worry wehther the network cables have a interference due to the electric cable,

and also what scares me about the gas and electric being so close together is, say if some after me was digging away with out any knowlege what lay beneath, and go through both the electric and gas in one hit..... BOOM.
Thats a worrying thought i must be honest.

Am i being over cautious?
I'm sure that will not totally comply with regs but working on building sites on a regular basis I've seen a lot. We had ducts laid for AV [video, audio, data] cables between two buildings; first thing in the trench was 11KV then about 300mm of sand, next row was AV and telephone ducts, 3 inch water and lighting SWA's and having been coiled were all over the place, crossing back and forth.

Guys on a seperate note, can anyone recommend me recessed garden lights that they've used, preferably something that wont break the bank.

I need about 15 and at £23 each it adds up to quite a fair bit.

Wondering if theres any cheaper but equally as good options out there.

Would appreciate very much.

Hi @5teves when you say recessed. What would they be recessed into?

recessed into decking is going to be different to recessed in ground or a driveway.

***Mods note*** Off topic posts removed. Yet again it’s you causing trouble Winston. Take this as a warning. If you have nothing helpful to add to a topic then do NOT post on it. Pedantry is not helpful before you spout more rubbish. My delete button will never wear out and each post I remove adds points towards you being permanently banned.

Last edited by a moderator:
***Mods note*** Off topic posts removed. Yet again it’s you causing trouble Winston. Take this as a warning. If you have nothing helpful to add to a topic then do NOT post on it. Pedantry is not helpful before you spout more rubbish. My delete button will never wear out and each post I remove adds points towards you being permanently banned.
Tell me what have I done wrong? I gave good factually correct advice and the OP was very rude to me. It is the OP you should be targeting not me.

Tell me what have I done wrong? I gave good factually correct advice and the OP was very rude to me. It is the OP you should be targeting not me.

Hi Winston,

Im sorry you feel i was rude to you. I posted a genuine question and you responded with what you responded with.... i left it at that. I even thanked you giving you the benefit of doubt.

Only for you get hung up with the terminology and respond with a another condescending reply.

I again gave you the benefit of the doubt and replied explaining i knew very well the difference between the two technologies.

But you just couldn't stop yourself from a further dig, about how you taught me something.... come on man, lifes too short for this rubbish.

Perhaps you dont understand text speak or whatever, but one things for sure i was most definitely not rude to you so no need to upset your self over it.

Have a good day

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back