Electricity to outbuilding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Please can someone advise me what swa cable should we be using for our outbuilding?

We dont mind over specifying for future proofing.

Ive been told 25mm should be enough and would connect to CU in the house. The outbuilding will have its own CU.

Im not a electrician hence apologies if this is a stupid question, we have sockets at the back of house, can we not get a live off them and thake it to the outbuilding?

Sponsored Links
Also would greatful is someone could advise what depth does the trench need to be and whether i could install rj45 and coaxial cables, and gas line in the same trench?

Who told you that you needed 25mm² SWA? That can carry 116A buried in the ground - that's about 27kW and more than your house supply is likely capable of supplying. You shouldn't need anything like that size. It should not be fed from your CU - it needs a separate switch-fuse fed from your meter.

What are you planning to power in the outbuilding? The first step in designing your solution is to determine what the load is.

Also would greatful is someone could advise what depth does the trench need to be and whether i could install rj45 and coaxial cables, and gas line in the same trench?
RJ45 is a plug socket not a cable.
Are you gas safe registered?
Don’t know gas regs but I doubt you can use the same trench.

Sponsored Links
we have sockets at the back of house, can we not get a live off them and thake it to the outbuilding?
Yes, of course. But the maximum current will be limited to 13amp. I rather suspect you might need more than that?

This is not a DIY enterprise. As above, make a comprehensive list of what the load will be in the outbuilding, then get a competent and registered electrician to design the cable requirements. you will need him/her to also carry out the installation and certification- all of this is notifiable work.

Ok guys, thanks for your help.so far,

I have no intentions of connecting anything up, fully qualified proffessionals will be doing both the gas and electric connections.

I'm here for opinions as i want to make sure the work is done right!

So can a electric cable, coax cable, rj45 cable and a gas line all go in one trench?
Whats the regulation?

Who told you that you needed 25mm² SWA? That can carry 116A buried in the ground - that's about 27kW and more than your house supply is likely capable of supplying. You shouldn't need anything like that size. It should not be fed from your CU - it needs a separate switch-fuse fed from your meter.

What are you planning to power in the outbuilding? The first step in designing your solution is to determine what the load is.

Possibly boiler, workshop tools, fridge, tv, computer

Id rather over spec it a little then regret it later, as its a big hassle routing the cable now, and dont ever want to do it again.

How far from the house to this outbuilding?

What actual loads will be used - does workshop tools include high powered fixed woodworking machinery, welding equipment, plasma cutters and similar - or is it just a few battery powered drills and the like?

Some printers and and possible woodworking machinery

Some printers and and possible woodworking machinery

If you want any useful responses to your questions, you are going to have to be much more specific. What is the likely load, in Watts, or kiloWatts, of these printers and woodworking machines? Give us a list of equipment and its power requirements.

Whoever designs this for you is going to need that information, so you might as well start to gather it.

Some woodworking machinery can be very power hungry. Especially on start up current.
And other things in there, several printers, does that mean people? Will they need heating, washing facilities, etc.

Some woodworking machinery can be very power hungry. Especially on start up current.
And other things in there, several printers, does that mean people? Will they need heating, washing facilities, etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back