Electrics and phone in a WC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a downstairs WC that had an electric shower and hand basin in it. The shower is being removed. What are the regulations to have a BT phone socket and power in there to power the router etc?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
tecnicaly its your wiring as its after the bt master socket
a hand basin will effect a 230v sockets position but if its in a secure location needing a tool to open a router with a say 12v supply cable will work far closer to the sink

... a hand basin will effect a 230v sockets position but if its in a secure location needing a tool to open a router with a say 12v supply cable will work far closer to the sink
As you presumably know, there are no explicit regulations relating to the proximity of 230V sockets to sinks - but common sense needs to prevail (and to satisfy the 'blanket' regulations, which again relate primarily to common sense).

Were the shower not being removed, things could, of course, be very different.

Kind Regards, John

a hand basin will effect a 230v sockets position

The regulation applies to bathrooms, and is measured from a fixed shower or bath, not basins.

In all other rooms, the installation must be suitable for its position, so sensibly not where it will be splashed or dripped on. I can't explain why so many people like to put a socket under the kitchen sink, but it is not expressly forbidden.

You could mount it high up, out of drip and splash range.

Sponsored Links
yes john thanks i realize a sink in a kitchen is no different to sink elsewhere
i am sort off assuming it may still have a loo or more off a bathroom feel rather than a study with a sink hence my suggestions :D

i am sort off assuming it may still have a loo or more off a bathroom feel rather than a study with a sink hence my suggestions :D
It's a "downstairs WC", so I presume it is retaining a loo! We've been told that the shower is to be removed, and I presume that the OP would have mentioned if there were a bath!

However, a loo is not relevant - the only thing which invokes any explicit regulations about electrical items is the presence of a bath or shower - loos, bidets and basins/sinks don't count. ... as I and JohnD have both said, in such cases it just really a matter of common sense.

Kind Regards, John

Perfect, that makes sense guys. Yes, shower to be removed and then it’ll just be a nice square room with a toilet and sink next to each other and then a unit with a socket, router and phone the opposite corner. A long way from any splashes or hazards.

Regarding the the bt line. It comes out of the floor one side of the wall and would basically need moving from one side of the wall to the wall behind. I’d even be happy with leaving the master socket where it is and then having an alternative provision on the wall behind it if that makes it easier?

I just hate phone extension after phone extension like the used to do. Looks terrible now you can have cordless phones and put additional hand sets in other rooms easily. I know in a power cut they stop working though and that’s the downside.

To get the bt socket on the wall behind it, is it easiest to leave the socket in situe and run another point off it behind it?

Thanks

Attachments

• E255B2F8-A809-4EE1-86D6-2338C0796EDD.jpeg
    E255B2F8-A809-4EE1-86D6-2338C0796EDD.jpeg
    454.8 KB · Views: 326
Yes, but where I live, you can buy flex more than 500mm long.

I have a downstairs WC that had an electric shower and hand basin in it. The shower is being removed. What are the regulations to have a BT phone socket and power in there to power the router etc?
BT used to have thousands of combination phone and WC installations all over the UK.

So, how would you suggest getting a BT socket on the reverse of this wall?

Thanks

Attachments

• 86A29063-E9CB-4121-95E4-C3940C4D4130.jpeg
    86A29063-E9CB-4121-95E4-C3940C4D4130.jpeg
    454.8 KB · Views: 302
Yes that’s right but they work fine for what I’ve got them in for tbh. I don’t rrakly want a full rewire to run CAT6 to everywhere do I tbh? A lot of disruption in order to do that. I agree that having network cable in would be great but the home plugs do the trick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back