Electrics - Done own in Extension - Council testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After Ban-All-Sheds excellent advice I did the following on my recent extensions:

First fix done by myself
Second fix done by a freindly ex electricain cash in hand.

My problem is that the council agreed to send round someone on first fix to test and it passed, then they say they have to send someone on second fix, but the problem is they want the name of the person signed etc as to who did the work, this is not possible for personal reasons of the person who kindly did the work for me.

Any ideas? and surely if the council are getting their guys to test it anyhow it doesn't make a difference as to who did the work???

Sponsored Links
isnt the BS7671 certificate in 3 stages

1.Design
2.Install
3.Test

If they are very kindly testing the installation you need to do your bit (i.e. fill in who designed and who installed it)

Your only option is to sign your name or get a sparks to come and inspect it but then your thowing your money away having to pay the council and the sparks.

Bit of a tricky one....

Kev

Thanks Artic, you can see where I am at. basically the guy who did second fix doesn't want his name against work as he is bankrupt etc, anyhow if I put my name as the person who did it, will they buy that? or if I said me and a mate did it?

I still don't see why they need names etc when they gonna test the lot anyhow?

Sponsored Links
I guess they want to see an EIC signed by someone who they consider competent.

There are an awful lot of councils out there who insist that any work they test and certify is still done by a qualified electrician - basically they are happy with the situation of work done by electricians who are not registered, but they won't accept DIY work at all.

You may find that you are in a bit of a hole, now - before you went down this route did you find out exactly what your council wanted, and confirm that your friend would be able to provide it?

they were happy with me doing first fix, as they sent out a guy from local council to check it and that was fine, it was just with signing off they said I would need to get signature of guy who did it. I didn't know this until they told me this bit.

Worst case I guess is pay for an independant inspection about £200?

It depends on what they want.

Basically you can't provide them with an EIC signed by the person(s) who did the design and the construction - well, you can, but it won't be signed by anybody qualified, and possibly not by someone who could reasonably believe that they could sign one anyway.

An independent inspection (if you can find someone prepared to do it) will only get you 1 of the 3 signatures on an EIC - will this satisfy them?

You'll be able to get a PIR done - will that satisfy them?

When you submitted the Building Notice, who did you say would be doing the work?

Which local authority is it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back