Electrics installation for small annexe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One electrician contractor has suggested that we run almost all electrical wiring under the foor screed/slab. Of course there will be wires in the loft for ceiling lights, and wires up the walls for light switches and sockets etc. The electrician has suggested that with the ceiling spot lights the loft space will become chock full of wiring otherwise.

In my current bungalow all wiring is coming down from the loft, there is nothing in the floor.

What should I do?

Sponsored Links
I would run it from the loft so you can get at it for future modifications

There's no harm in running cable under the floor slab as long as they're ducted appropriately (not all rammed into a bit of 32mm waste pipe). Is there any great cost saving in doing the job that way?

Only a proposal from an contractor to avoid too many wires in the loft.

Sponsored Links
Define 'too many'? Bonus of no/few cables in the loft- insulation is v easy as is boarding out if you want to use it for storage. Downside- cables under the slab = pain if you decide to change your lighting layout in 5 years time (or want to add power/light in the loft). Up to him (he's designing the scheme) and you (you're paying for it so you can reject his proposal if you like)

As I know it they run wires from the loft down the walls, inside a steel tube, and directly over a power switch or a wall socket so you know never to drill above a socket or switch. They never run wires horizontally even if it is to cover a small distance. Am I right?

The electrician has suggested that with the ceiling spot lights the loft space will become chock full of wiring otherwise.

In my current bungalow all wiring is coming down from the loft, there is nothing in the floor.

What should I do?

abandon spotlights.

abandon spotlights.
Hmm, you may have a point. With spot lights you have to be very precise as to the location in the ceiling if you intend to place tall wardrobes or cabinets...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back