electrics keeps tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My electrics keeps tripping and need help with isolating the problem

A few weeks ago my immersion heater suddenly tripped. I assumed that the element had gone but when I went to check I found that some water had leaked onto the top of the cylinder where the immersion enters the tank. I checked and refitted the wiring but it still tripped.

Then I went away and my daughter contacted me to say that the cooker had gone off. I have got back now and tried to find the problem. I will get an electrician in but am concerned that they may just say the house needs rewiring so I would prefer to see if I can identify the problem first.

The cooker feed serves both the oven and the electric hob. Both the oven and hob will power on but as soon as either a plate or the oven is turned on then it trips immediately. I have tried turning off everything else in the house at the board by putting all switches down except the cooker but it still trips when either the oven or hob is turned up.

I now wonder whether there is also nothing wrong with the immersion heater.

Can anyone help or explain how to isolate and test individual circuits.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi, fastest way to help you is if you can post a picture of you're consumer unit (fuse box) then we can try and guide you as to how to fault find.

Regards,

DS

Last edited:
what device is it that trips, are talking about MCBs or RCDs?
If the cooker circuit trips regardless of which appliance is turned on (oven/hob).
My investigation would start with the hard wiring of that circuit at the outlet plates and isolators.

Sponsored Links
Sheena Easton?

Or Shirley Bassey in Goldfinger? She was certainly guilded.

thanks for the prompt response

photo attached

I also forgot to mention that when I came back from holiday last night the lights had also tripped even though other circuits were switched off

I did do some electrical work recently. I have an air source heat pump when replaced an old coal heating system which fed radiators via a back boiler. This was removed several years ago and replaced with the heat pump. I live in a village so there is no gas and I did not want oil. On this air source heat pump I replaced the cable which goes from the heat pump to the central heating circulation pump. I noticed at the time that one of the connections on the main power input had some blackening. However, there was never any problem with the heat pump and have not used it since as the summer started and I need to refill the system as I also relocated the water feed pipes at the same time. The heat pump circuit is the last one on the board on the right which has been off/down since I did the work on the heat pump.

IMG_4265.jpg

A starting point would be to determine which RCD is tripping right or left or both?

DS

both sides are tripping

If there was a problem with the earth would that explain everything?

Is there a simple way to check the earth or does I need an electrician with testing equipment?

Hi, you need an electrician with the test kit to identify where the break down of the insulation is occurring. You have more than one fault, or water getting into the wiring.

DS

Did you move or remake any neutral connections in the board?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back