electrics/ spar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is it ok to spar from an unused but new cooker socket to an rcd consumer unit in my shed, about 10 feet away, using 6mm to rcd,2.5mm to striplight and 2.5mm to 2 double sockets,1 for tumble dryer pc and the odd powertool every now and then

Sponsored Links
There's a million questions:

here's the first few, there will be more.......

Cooker socket? that will be a 13A socket - or do you mean the cooker connection point?

What is the fuse protecting the circuit
IS there anything else using the circuit?
What is the supply type
What sort of cable do you plan to use and how will it be run from house to shed

Are you aware that before doing anything you must inform the local authority, pay their fee and be prepared to have every stage of your work inspected.

2.5mm to striplight? Why?
It must be a very big striplight!

hi there ,sorry it will be the cooker connection point for 6mm,30ma from main house cosumer box,nothing else on circuit,using 6mm from cooker connection housed through brick porch to rcd gararge unit 2.5mm to sockets 1.5mm to lights

Sponsored Links
A spar is a shady corner shop with normally very poor standards.

A spur is an offshoot from a ring final circuit to serve a single point, or several points if appropriately fused.

None of which apply to this little project.

I seriously suggest that you take RF's hint, type in your postcode and get someone who will install a safe a legal system for you.

Who knows, you might get me!

sorry guys,there is or supposidly a qualified sparky/technician doin this work im just trying to understand wot goes on basically i want 4 sockets and alight in my shed so i can hide from the rugrats,a tumble dryer a low watt oil heater my laptop and the odd power tool

A low watt oil heater wont do much in a shed. You need 2kw at least.

The setup you describe sounds ok, as long as the cooker circuit is already 6mm. You might want to loose the cooker switch though - so the missus cant turn you off while you're having an escape. Any outdoor cable runs need to be armoured cable. You MUST NOT use Twin and earth outdoors.

You dont want 2 RCDs though - make sure if you have one in the shed that the existing circuit isn't protected by one.

As TTC says you need to confirm the questions he asked.

yes the cooker cable is 6mm,and the switch is going,(in a previous house she set light to a cooker having a chat with a friend ,sausages left under the grill,i came home to several firemen in the kitchen,no cable are outdoors ,2kw oil heater , insulated walls plus loft 10*10 brick shed with windows and ventilation

many thanks to all advice and i will make sure that everyone that needs to be notified will be thanks again to all.

there is or supposidly a qualified sparky/technician doin this work

In that case he should be listed on the site in RF's post above

i will make sure that everyone that needs to be notified will be

your 'qualified' sparky will do that as he will be registered to notify works of this nature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back