Electrics to shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

After a bit of advice if I may...

I am about half way through building a timber frame shed / outbuilding in my garden.

I have decided that I would like some sort of electrical connection in the shed, ideally a single socket and a single fixed light.

Am I right in thinking that I am able to run a supply off a kitchen socket through the wall and out to the shed via a partially buried armored cable?

The light fitting and socket will both be external quality should either come into contact with the elements at any point.

Thanks for your help guys.

Sponsored Links
Hi, yes you can take the supply from the kitchen socket if you follow these basic rules.

The shed supply must be fused down to 13a via a switch fuse connection unit (fcu).
The socket you connect to must not be an existing spur from the ring.
The supply to the shed must be RCD protected.
The light in the shed must be fused down to 3a, you can do this using a second FCU fitted in the shed.

Regards,

DS

You're doing it again.
That is - making blanket statements which may not be the case.

The shed supply must be fused down to 13a via a switch fuse connection unit (fcu).
Probably true but may be on a 20A/25A radial.
The socket you connect to must not be an existing spur from the ring.
Unless you place the FCU before it.
The supply to the shed must be RCD protected.
Armoured cable does not have to be RCD protected.
The light in the shed must be fused down to 3a, you can do this using a second FCU fitted in the shed.
Probably the simplest way but there are other methods.

So, none of your "musts" are the only way.

Sponsored Links
In Wales there is a horrid system done by Blagdon who make stuff for ponds, which gets around the law as it is a pre-assembled unit. I don't like the system I would prefer to break the law, however it does exist and it is legal and it is plug and play. I would recommend a little petroleum jelly on every plug and socket, it makes a nearly water proof system water proof.

Do you have a reference to the Blagdon thingy Eric. What's it called? Ta.

Edit:

Found 'em, but they seem to be fused to a max 5 amp. Do they do beefier ones? And what convinces you they are legal for non notifiable work in Wales? Presumably, I'd spur off the nearest ring location, then head off to the shed in swa?

Ta.

Last edited:
Its called a pile of poo. In any case it is designed to work with existing or new Blagdon Switchbox installations.
Its the equivalent of chucking an extension lead down the garden. For £100 that it costs the job should be done PROPERLY!

So.... Did we have a definitive answer on the best way to do this guys?

Need more information.
How far is the shed from the house?
What do you mean by partially buried?
What would the cable be buried in/under?
If you were to run the feed from a kitchen socket, is this RCD protected?
Is this socket on a ring final circuit, or is it a spur from a ring final?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back