Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if it is possible to utilise an extint emersion heater cable and use it for lighting to the underside of my new kitchen cupboards. At present the fuse has been removed from the CU. Is it a case of down rating the fuse to 5 amp? Or do I start from scratch?

Sponsored Links
I guess the existing fuse is 15 or 16 amp?

If so, fit a fused connection unit to the end of the old immersion circuit and put a 3 amp fues in there,
Replace the existing 15/16amp fuse in the consumer unit and you're all set.

Don't go changing fuses in the consumer unit. If they are the rewireable type the bases are different sizes and colours and the next person (electrician) will have no idea what is going on. Or may put the wrong size fues wire in there..

Fuse was a 15 A and an old type. Identified with blue circles and uses fuse wire. Can I mark up the front so that any future electrician knows or do I need to get a new fuse wire holder?

Can I mark up the front so that any future electrician knows
No.

or do I need to get a new fuse wire holder?
And a new base.

Installing that will require you to work inside the fusebox, so take great care as those models weren't very good about preventing access to live parts even with the main switch off.

And if you're in England or Wales it's notifiable....

Sponsored Links
OOps, Just realised what your answer meant. I leave the 15 A fuse as it is.

Thanks.

Can I use 20 amp junction box at the end of my fused connection spur to connect the flex of my lights

A fused connection unit is the way to go, with the standard 13a fuse replaced with a 3a one.

Getonwithit should be done by Trades Description. He certainly hasn't gotonwithit.

Have you not noticed that it has taken him nearly a WHOLE YEAR to ask another question on his thread :rolleyes:

What size cable after the fused connection unit. I have 2.5mm in, can I hve same size out or does it need to be 1.5mm

After the fused spur unit it would be usual to use 1.0 or 1.5 mm twin+earth cable. If you want to use flex something like 0.75, 1.0, 1.5 mm would probably be ok.

In answer to your earlier question you could use a 20 amp junction box after the fused spur unit if you need to.

Reading your post, you want to wire the flex on the end of your light into a junction box, there is no real reason why you couldn't use some of your 2.5 mm cable between the fused spur and the jb.

Don't forget the 3 amp fuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back