Electronic parking brake failure

Yep, not sure if x6 is the same as my 1 series. The car needs to be told the battery is new. The alternator charge is managed to increase as the battery performance drops as it ages. I have a diagnostic tool that can be used to update the battery info so the car knows it has been changed. If you change the battery like for like you can get away with just telling the car the mileage that the battery was changed.

Not sure if you can do it from the car menus?
The additional faults are probably because the battery was removed. A decent diagnostic tool will reset those. You can get them for £15 on amazon and download a free app that will do some resets.

Got to be worth a punt as a dealer will charge 4 times that just to run his diagnostics to tell you what you already know.

The battery needs to be like for like. Videos are on youtube.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yep, not sure if x6 is the same as my 1 series. The car needs to be told the battery is new. The alternator charge is managed to increase as the battery performance drops as it ages. I have a diagnostic tool that can be used to update the battery info so the car knows it has been changed. If you change the battery like for like you can get away with just telling the car the date that the battery was changed.

Not sure if you can do it from the car menus?
The additional faults are probably because the battery was removed. A decent diagnostic tool will reset those. You can get them for £15 on amazon and download a free app that will do some resets.

Got to be worth a punt as a dealer will charge 4 times that just to run his diagnostics to tell you what you already know.

The battery needs to be like for like.
Very valid point about telling the car it has a new battery.
Could easily be another issue now.

Shame nobody told the OP any of this stuff about getting the battery coded etc when they must of known on a Saturday afternoon he'd be sold a battery by halfrauds or some other ****fit chain who don't give a crap.

Shame nobody told the OP any of this stuff about getting the battery coded etc when they must of known on a Saturday afternoon he'd be sold a battery by halfrauds or some other ****fit chain who don't give a crap.
Didnt see you stepping up!
The thread started as a parking brake fault.

Sponsored Links
Got my old battery back now, just waiting for a charger to be delivered so I can charge it, I noticed it has a date on it of November 2017 so I guess it's not really too old.
Will the car realise I have fitted the old battery in and therefore not show the new error messages?

around the 5 years mark, i have had to change batteries on most of my cars , otherhalfs till 2006 when i retired and nolonger had company cars - , most makes , Audi, Saab, Citroen , Vauxhall, Renault are the ones i remember , my Audi 14 reg changed a couple of years ago , had to be a stop/start and coded in

Got my old battery back now, just waiting for a charger to be delivered so I can charge it, I noticed it has a date on it of November 2017 so I guess it's not really too old.
Will the car realise I have fitted the old battery in and therefore not show the new error messages?
Probably a good move.
If it was just a battery issue the handbrake would have released with the new wrong battery fitted. Charging and static voltages are not the same, and new battery not coded would only affect charging rates not static.
Car sounds like it needs proper attention, codes read and cleared, but won't hurt the battery to be charged (disconnected from car) and see what difference it does or doesn't make.

Sponsored Links
Back