Elevated shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to erect a shed, but need it about 500mm off the ground. What would be the best way to do this? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
various options

sleepers

brick piers

100mm drain pipe concreted into the ground and filled with concrete

depends how permanent and how handy you are!

How are you going to get access to the shed and just out of curiosity, why the need to elevate it?

Thanks for the replies so far.

I am quite handy I think, I have built a double skinned 13 m long brick wall wih 7 piers and steps, installed bathrooms with copper plumbing, re-wired my whole house, installed kitchens, laid ceramic floor tiles, laid elevated decking on posts, decorating, so loads of stuff!
I like doing everything bolt and braces, no short cuts, no matter how long it takes.

I have spare bricks left over from my wall so that could be an option. But concrete piers sounds a lot easier and quicker and just as strong. Would the brick or the concrete piers be laid on a large concrete pad, or a pad each? How deep would these pads/the biggest pad be?

I initially thought of laying a concrete pad and sticking bolt threads out of it at the correct places, then bolting on these http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=32806&ts=87317 but 4" ones. What do you think?

It is going to be elevated because it this is going to be a whole lot easier than excavating the ground - it is on a slope. And to get into it is going to be via decking steps adjoining existing elevated decking.

Thanks again for your advice and comments - I really appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
im just about to do a similar job for someone, where they want half of it on an existing slab and the rest of it to jut out into thin air. With the concrete piles you need to dig a hole about 1/3 as deep as its height above ground. Insert a 100mm plastic pipe and set it in concrete ensuring its vertically level. Once its set you can then cut the tops level. You can then fill it with concrete. and its ready for the shed to sit on.

Thermo said:
im just about to do a similar job for someone, where they want half of it on an existing slab and the rest of it to jut out into thin air. With the concrete piles you need to dig a hole about 1/3 as deep as its height above ground. Insert a 100mm plastic pipe and set it in concrete ensuring its vertically level. Once its set you can then cut the tops level. You can then fill it with concrete. and its ready for the shed to sit on.

Wow thanks yeah. Any need for metal rods in the piers? How wide should the holes for the piers be?

with that size id put in some reinforcing bar. I normally allow a hole about 300 x 300, with the pipe in the centre. Make sure you ram the concrete down well when you pour it in. You need to make sure you get it set out right and spot on level as well.

Whens the sauna being delivered then?

Thermo said:
with that size id put in some reinforcing bar. I normally allow a hole about 300 x 300, with the pipe in the centre. Make sure you ram the concrete down well when you pour it in. You need to make sure you get it set out right and spot on level as well.

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Thermo said:
Whens the sauna being delivered then?

lmao. That has been mentioned! Here's the decking it could go into:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back