ELI test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone advise please.Today had service call to repair tumble dryer he also done ELI test reading was 5.00 ohms he said its too high, (possible to get electric shock)The reading was taken from wall socket and property was built in the 30s, rewired in the seventies,and have never had any problems.Thanks, j.

Sponsored Links
Is this house in Barbados, if so it needs posting in the electrics overseas category.
If not then are your sockets protected by an RCD?

I would start by looking for an earthing type.

An RCD is no excuse for a poor ELI reading when used as supplementary protection against direct contact.

IF it is a TT system..........and there is a main RCD, and it functions correctly........no problem.

If it is a TN system, then this needs sorting.

Lectrician said:
An RCD is no excuse for a poor ELI reading when used as supplementary protection against direct contact.

IF it is a TT system..........and there is a main RCD, and it functions correctly........no problem.

Yes Lectrician I was slowing moving on to that - just putting the feelers out to get an idea of the OP's understanding of his installation :oops: ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies.System is tn-s or tn-cs no rcd.

Then I would stop using that socket immediately and also call a quaified electrican to come and test your installation as you could have a serious problem

Had electrician look at it today poor connection on back of socket outlet,he put new outlet on all ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back