ELICTRIC TRIPPING RCD ECT.

SND

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new house with all new electrics, but the lower trip RCD Contractum cpr100A keeps going off at random times when you plug something in. It could be the lap top charger or the hoover & it happens with all three ring mains. Interestingly you cannot reset the trip without switching all the fuses off first.
Simon

Sponsored Links
The only thing to suggest in this instance is to call a spark in. You're not going to fix it dabbling about yourself. You'll need test equipment to localise the fault.

It sounds like you are saying that although TVs, radios, fridges etc are plugged in and switching on and off they are not causing any problem? Is it only when you plug in AND switch on certain items that this problem happens? You mention a Lap-top and a Hoover ( vacuum cleaner?) what else, if anything, causes the RCD to trip. (i.e. A table lamp, the cooker immersion heater / boiler?) If it is only certain items then they have faults in them.

However, if it is truly random and not just one or two things causing the problem, then your RCD sounds like it is duff. If it is a new house, call the builder and ask him to send his electrician out to test the RCD.

Thank you for that I was suspecting the rcd. It seem that the act of plugging something in has something to do with it, as permanently plugged in items have no effect & six or seven different items plugged in on any of the ring mains can cause the trip at random times.

Simon

Sponsored Links
I have a new house with all new electrics
Do you have an Electrical Installation Certificate with test results for each circuit?

but the lower trip RCD Contractum cpr100A keeps going off at random times when you plug something in. It could be the lap top charger or the hoover & it happens with all three ring mains.
Does it happen even if those items are the only ones powered from the circuit?

Interestingly you cannot reset the trip without switching all the fuses off first.
Sorry to disappoint you - that's not interesting, it's quite normal..

Could be quite simply one of the other appliances which is plugged in which is faulty. I'm thinking TN-CS supply?

It could simply be high leakage current, as you mention you have at least three ring finals on the RCD, which no doubt are feeding appliances with heating elements such as tumble dryers and washers, then SMPSs in computers. All of the above are prone to having above-average earth leakage currents even during normal use.

Admittedly you could also be correct re a dodgy RCD, I've certainly seen it before.

Better get it looked at soon - if you need a new RCD please be advised that Contactum has ceased trading so over time spares may be hard to come by.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back