Emails not working today?

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
when a topic you're watching gets updated.

Sponsored Links
Hi John,

I'm not aware of any problems our end, though it's possible there is a hiccup somewhere between our server and your ISP, from a personal perspective I have been receiving site emails throughout the day. It would be good if you could let me know if this continues or if you begin to receive them again.

:confused:

PS Long shot : they havent by chance started going into your junk mail box?

a bunch of them arrived this morning, sent time varies between 24 May 2007 21:27 and 24 May 2007 22:03

but "received time" for those same mails is
Date: 24 May 2007 23:15 to 25 May at 05:10

I am on NTHell

I can only think it was a temporary problem somewhere between us and you. Is anyone else having problems receiving emails from DIYnot?

Sponsored Links
i somtimes stop getting notification from older posts i have posted on when a new post is added!!! :rolleyes:

another batch turned up this morning, received time varies from 22:41 Sat to 02:18 Sun, but sent times vary from 19:59 Sat to 02:18 Sun

The sequence of arrivalis not the same as the squence of despatch.

looks like they're getting lost in the cloud.

IP really is an unreliable, connectionless medium, like they say.

JohnD said:
IP really is an unreliable, connectionless medium, like they say.
Er, but SMTP and POP3 aren't.

(BTW, IP is a protocol, not a medium.)

IMHO it has more to do with the server your email arrives on. If that server is having problems (and with higher temperatures during the day these problems are on the increase) it will 'capture' all send emails, but only 'forward' them when everything is back (or partly back) to normal.

Last summer (July) whole server blocks in the London docks went down due to insufficient ventilation = 'melt-down' ;)

WoodYouLike, do you think the same could be applicable to text messages? I went out a few weeks ago, and the next day at 2pm, I recieved about 10 messages that had been sent the night before!!! :(

Not sure about that one Crafty. Could be, if text messages 'go through' a server too.

Time for some facts...

For Emails, unless you look in the header information, the timestamp is meaningless. This is because it can be spoofed, i.e. deliberately set to any time in the valid range, including in the future. It can therefore be that a message is prepared for sending, marked at a given time, and not sent until a later time. Each mail server that handles a message will timestamp it, and this is reliable information, so if you look in the header you'll see the truth.

I would expect DIYnot to batch up Emails, not send them one at a time.

When in transit, there is no coordination between Emails in a given batch, so the one sent first can arrive before or after the one sent last. It could arrive several minutes before, or after. If a transit mail server crashed, or was restarted for any reason, then the message can be significantly delayed. Spam filtering also adds delays, and some filtering hosts are less efficient, or more loaded, than others.

Emails are delivered using a reliable, connection-oriented, Internet transport. This is why Emails don't just "go missing", like flaky people claim happens to them when they don't want to admit receiving a message. However, with the abundance of Spam and Spam filters, Emails are capable of never arriving. This is not because the transport is unreliable, because it isn't.

SMS texts are also stored-and-forwarded, and delivered by a connection-oriented transport, but the delivery is by an entirely different protocol set and medium.

Softus said:
This is why Emails don't just "go missing",

They can. Server melt-down, none-proper back-up system of server company: emails never arrive = missing (better still: deleted)

WoodYouLike said:
Softus said:
This is why Emails don't just "go missing",
They can. Server melt-down, none-proper back-up system of server company: emails never arrive = missing (better still: deleted)
So you've taken half of one sentence, taken it out of context, ignored the sentiment that that sentence contained, and ignored all of the technical information in my post and how it relates to messages habitually going missing, all just to prove your point that servers can crash.

Well done.

Sponsored Links
Back