Emergency cleaning company needed - South London

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can you recommend a good emergency cleaning company that covers South London (SW19) - ideally to start Monday.

Just come home to find our decorator, that was power sanding our hall some how forgot to tape up all the doors that lead off the hall way and subsequently all of the rooms have a thick layer of dust over the whole room, 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms and 2 living rooms.

Thanks

Chas

Sponsored Links
Have you told the decorator the problem, and what was his answer ???

Cant be that much of an emergency if you are prepared to leave it until Monday

His phone is on answer machine. Have left a message asking him to call.

The damage is done, leaving it till Monday, wont make that much difference.

Sponsored Links
Erm...........its a DIY forum! :rolleyes:

smiley4562.gif

His phone is on answer machine. Have left a message asking him to call.

The damage is done, leaving it till Monday, wont make that much difference.

Breathing in Dust over the weekend isnt a problem then ???

I would have thought that if someone wanted woodwork sanded down, one would expect some dust around the place,
Are you going to charge the decorator for the cleaning account ??

It wasn't light hand sanding, it was power sanding of walls and doors on a 100 year old house, the sort that produces a dust cloud so that you can't see your hand in front of your face. Also the doors are slightly warped, so don't close fully on the door stop.

The decorator accepted no responsibility for the clean up costs - £230 odd quid as it goes. And because I wouldn't confirm to him that we were going to pay for all the clean up costs ourself. He chose to walk off the job, which given his bizarre attitude of treating our home like a building site - of the two worse rooms effected, one was our 2 year olds bedroom, full of soft toys etc, the other was our finished decorated bedroom - I'm very f*cking pleased about. The c*nt.

There's no other side to this story btw. The guy had a f*cking screw loose to do what he did. It didn't even register to him that he had done anything wrong.

The real story unravels,

I take it that part of the contract was to power sand all the woodwork in that room, was he allowed and did he clean up the dust in the room that he worked in and were dust sheets used to cover furnishings ?

You admit the doors were a bad fit, but appear not to have made any effort to cover soft furnishings and toys in the other rooms,knowing that this sort of job creates a considerable amount of dust.

was entering and sheeting up all the other rooms part of the Quote given by the decorator ??
If it wasnt part of the quote he had no reason to enter the rooms.

I take it that part of the contract was to power sand all the woodwork in that room

Yep, we had several conversations with him about him taping up the doors to keep dust out of the rooms. We accepted that, with the doors taped up, a little bit of dust would get into the rooms, ie. directly under the door, was unavoidable.

was he allowed and did he clean up the dust in the room that he worked in and were dust sheets used to cover furnishings

He make a token gesture to clean all the dust in the hallway where he was working, but left heavy dust on newel posts and all the usual dust traps like dado rails etc. No one had said he couldn't go in any of the rooms to clean up all the dust. But it would have taken him 6 hours to clean the two bedrooms, given that's how long 2 professional cleaners with all the equipment took Sunday afternoon.

You admit the doors were a bad fit, but appear not to have made any effort to cover soft furnishings and toys in the other rooms,knowing that this sort of job creates a considerable amount of dust.

We had several conversations with him about him taping up the doors to keep dust out of the rooms.

To give you the chain of events. Following the heavy sanding Friday I arrived home to find 2 up stairs bedrooms covered in heavy dust, 2 bathrooms and 2 living rooms (slightly less dusty) - the original post says 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms. That's a typeo btw.

My wife, who's staying at the in-laws with our 2 year old as she has fairly bad asthma - ie asthma that prevents her being around any heavy dust!, spoke to him and he said he had cleaned in the rooms, which was BS.

I then cleaned the front living room as I needed to sleep there for the next couple of nights till the cleaners arrived.

When he arrived Saturday morning, I spoke to him about the dust, he was not apologetic. I asked for some masking tape and proceeded to tape up all the doors. He was ****ed off that he would no longer have access to our kettle or the kitchen sink. I suggested he go buy a £10 kettle from Homebase or go around the cafe 3 mins walk away - he said the cafe isn't open on Sunday. To get into and out of the house Saturday, when he was doing more heavy sanding I climbed in and out of the front window - to ensure the door seals stayed intact.

During Saturday's sanding he managed to break some of the seals and didn't bother retaping them. I challenged him about this Sunday at which point he wanted confirmation that he would not be covering any of the cost of the cleaning.

I've got some more details but his c*ntitude but I take it at some point you're going to stop defending or playing devils advocate with this guy?

Strange how many of your posts are about disputes with various contractors. Guess you’re unlucky ……

Yes, very unlucky.

On the plus side our boiler engineer, family bathroom fitter and the last sparks we had in were all really good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back