Emergency Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just went into the kitchen and I've got a @Hugh Jaleak :D:D

Water is gushing (like a sprinkler) from the part I have labelled '1'

Does anyone have any advice on the remedial work to fix this?

Am i right in saying that this is lead pipe?

Attachments

• leak.jpg
    leak.jpg
    533.9 KB · Views: 291
Sponsored Links
Scrape gently in towards the leak, lifting a shaving, then gently tap down into the hole. A temp repair can be achieved with a sharpened matchstick tapped into the hole. If you have some to hand, self amalgamating tape will effect a repair.

For a small hole and as a temp repair use a self tapping screw wrapped with PTFE tape. Or Rubber and a jubillee clip over the hole.

Sponsored Links
Turn it off :whistle:

Seriously though .... off at the street and cut it out. Was called out to a DIY repair not so long ago, lead under bath had split and was diy repaired with a clip and piece of hose. Don't get me wrong, all good as an emergency repair for a day or two but chap then said smiling, I did that a couple of months ago and had forgotten about it, ah well .... needless to say the downstairs neighbour wasn't very happy about that, 2nd time in as many months, looks like it's going to be handbags.

Thanks for the advice guys

To scrape the pipe would this blade be ideal?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/hooked-u...MIu-6F-Yj16wIVwuntCh2W_QgDEAQYCCABEgK1WfD_BwE

With the loc coupling, would this repair work on lead pipe that is not straight? My pipe is at an angle going upwards?

To cut the pipe is there something more easier to use than a hacksaw? I have a recip saw, angle grinder, multi tool cutter

Finally would flux and soldering over leaking holes work?

Finally would flux and soldering over leaking holes work?

Yes...ish.

The solder is "plumbers metal" and the flux tallow or beef dripping (yes) and you need a wiping cloth (folded brown paper will do).

There's a bit of skill in heating both pipe and plumbers metal so that you get a mass of plumbers metal to a plastic consistency which can be squodged* onto the cleaned area of the pipe to get adhesion but without melting the lead pipe itself. There may be videos on "wiping a lead joint" or "wiping lead".

*firmly pressed

Last edited:
To scrape the pipe would this blade be ideal?
get a knife out of your kitchen drawer and scrape the pipe, if it's lead it will go shiny silver if you really want to but it's definitely lead with a copper tail.

Honestly, get someone in to cut it back and replace as much as possible and/or use a leadloc but make sure they have experience working with lead. You need to get the pipe as clean, smooth and as round as possible to ensure the leadloc takes weep free, long term.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back