Emergency lighting in common part

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been asked to price emergency lighting in a small common area (4 or 5 small landings) and 1st inspection looked quite straight forward until I asked to see the consumer unit. Basically in this block of flats each flat controls a light in the common parts via its own Colombus time delay switch and therefore there is no landlords distribution board.
We would have to put ugly key switches on every landing for each emergency light which the client doesn't want, nor do they want to go to the expense of a landlords supply and rewiringof lights at this stage.

Therefore the idea of using small recessed self testing emergency lights. Does this sound like a feasible idea or does anybody else have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Walk away. If they aren't prepared to do the job properly, then you're in for trouble. The emergency lights need a method of isolating for testing purposes, so if they don't want the keyswitches (which I assume are for isolating the lights) then how do they propose to do it. I suspect the just want the emergency lights fitted to each floor, and for you to ingnore the regs.

We’ve used them a fair amount. They’re decent enough.

One downside (or positive, depends on the tenants) is the green charge LED is almost as bright as the white EM - assume they’re just using one RGBW chip for EM, charge and fail.

Don’t know if they do a ST version, but do not buy the Xcite ones from the nations leading wholesaler. We fitted 3 on a job, and within a month 2 drivers had failed.

They’re a neat enough solution and are fairly unobtrusive.

I assume there’s no PL at the current fittings to just replace them for ST 2-D type bulkheads?

Basically in this block of flats each flat controls a light in the common parts via its own Colombus time delay switch and therefore there is no landlords distribution board.
That already sounds totally unsatisfactory - turning on a single light in the stairway when someone wants to leave isn't going to do much other than light the area outside their front door.

If you go ahead with this, consider the substantial extra hassle of obtaining access to each of the individual flats to isolate the supply while the lights are fitted. Guaranteed someone will be out, or worse won't want it done at all. It's a can of worms just waiting to be opened.

Presumably someone said that EM is now required, and those who think they are in charge of the facility want it done as cheaply as possible.

Sponsored Links
Can the time-lag switch be replaced for a key switch, and the existing light be replaced with LED light with emergency light built in and microwave sensor?

Interesting idea, but I still think it needs a landlords supply as a starting point, and if the client doesn't want to do that, then this sort of job is best avoided, but that's just my opinion.

That already sounds totally unsatisfactory - turning on a single light in the stairway when someone wants to leave isn't going to do much other than light the area outside their front door.
Even if the switch is just outside their front door, the light doesn't have to be.

I've known blocks of flats to have time lag switches on each floor, they give you enough time on the stairs to get to the next switch..

BS5266-1-2005 states "It is essential that the wiring of emergency escape lighting installations is exclusive to the installation and separate from the wiring of any other circuits" Therefore existing wiring does not comply, there also other standards which must be met eg. fire protection, permisable types of cable, overlapping areas of illumination, etc.

As others have suggested, walkaway, there are easier ways to make a living.

Not sure how that qualifies as an answer to the perfectly reasonable and clear question I asked.

Thanks guys, to be honest I think I'll walk away unless they want to install landlords supply. Like everyone says it's not worth being responsible for and the hassle.

I think I'll walk away unless they want to install landlords supply.

There's a lot more to emergency lighting than that, standards are much higher than normal lighting. For instance, I've witnessed the endurance testing of numerous systems, 50% fail due to faulty luminaires, ends up costing the contractor a small fortune. Keep walking.

In fact, if I was an electrical contractor (of any size) I would sub out the EL to some one else, together with a severely worded contract pointing out they are totally responsible for the finished system.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back