Emergency repair kit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any good suggestions regarding a flap on situation when say for instance, a pipe bursts in the house or even worse, the main water feed stop tap springs a very fast leak just under the tap itself.

I was thinking about this the other day in bed and now i'm worried for some reason.

Would it be possible to cut the pipe very quick and stick a quick fit stop end on the pipe - or would the pressure be too much to do this ?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Does anyone have any good suggestions regarding a flap on situation when say for instance, a pipe bursts in the house or even worse, the main water feed stop tap springs a very fast leak just under the tap itself.

I was thinking about this the other day in bed and now i'm worried for some reason.

Would it be possible to cut the pipe very quick and stick a quick fit stop end on the pipe - or would the pressure be too much to do this ?

cheers

If you are that concerned buy yourself a 22mm/15mm pipeslice to quickly cut through your pipes & a 22mm/15mm pushfit stop end.
You may also want to pick up a pipe freezing kit, you Drama Queen.

could try squeezing the pipe with big pump pliers, will stop the the flow in an emergency if things go wrong

Sponsored Links
p4167600_x.jpg

Imagining your specific scenario where a pipe below a stoptap is leaking and you have a gusher.

1 Wilhelms FBH "Furking Big Hammer" is usually the quickest option and best for preventing water damage but can leave hard work for the plumber. Ok a decent plumber should not have too many problems with it but if its on the first few inches of pipe that comes out of a concrete floor your plumber might not like you for giving him the job.

2. If the pressure is not too high then don't underestimate the power of a carrot or better still a bit of broom handle shaved into the shape of a tapered plug. Simply hammer this into the pipe until you come up with a better solution.

3. the best way to stop gushing water if you can get a decent end of pipe is actually with a compression stoptap. Leave it open and allow the water to flow through it until you get it into place and nipped onto the pipe. Then close the stoptap.

4. Turn the water off further back down the line. Learn now where the water turns off in the street and buy the appropriate tool . Also check that you can get access to it whenever you need to.

cheers
I live next door to squadron 22 search and rescue heliport, I often wonder when lying in bed, if that 30 year old sea-king will be lying in bed with me in the morning :LOL:

Some good answers there and funny ones too. The hammer sounds good in a flap on situation where all else fails. I'll buy a stop end push fit connector and outside water shutoff valve.

Sleep better now Zzzzzzzz

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back