Employment anyone???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone i am pretty new to this site, I haven't got a question about plumbing as such, However i am a first year mature student of 33, studying my city and guilds 6129, We have just broken up for the summer holiday and i desperately need some training and experience with a qualified plumber in and around the area of somerset, I am a very hard working bloke who is not expecting miracles what with the current situations in the uk! I am confident with all types of pipework, copper, lcs, pushfit, and have a good general knowledge of the basics of plumbing. When i return to college in september i will only have the following to complete, a bathroom suite, sheet lead, a few odd tasks and, my dreaded gola thankyou to all who have taken time to read this and i look forward to a response thanks again mark.

Sponsored Links
Now, are you looking for paid employment at the minimum wage of about £5.90 per hour?

Or, do you want unpaid work experience?

When you are qualified and experienced won't you be competing on price with whoever trains you? Work may be short in Somerset!

Tony

Now, are you looking for paid employment at the minimum wage of about £5.90 per hour?

Or, do you want unpaid work experience?

When you are qualified and experienced won't you be competing on price with whoever trains you? Work may be short in Somerset!

Tony
At the moment i'd appreciate either, obviously paid minimum would be a bonus but i understand that a lot of firms are struggling. Ideally i would be hoping to work for the company that i would be trained up by and therefore not needing to undercut or poach anyone elses business opportunity

At the moment i'd appreciate either, obviously paid minimum would be a bonus but i understand that a lot of firms are struggling. Ideally i would be hoping to work for the company that i would be trained up by and therefore not needing to undercut or poach anyone elses business opportunity.

Probably the worst time you could have picked to go into this profession. To be honest, I doubt anyone would take you on for free at moment, if they do it will probably to exploit you to labour for them, then finish you up as soon as they have earned their money. Many experienced fully qualified plumbers/gas fitters/engineers are struggling at the moment and a lot of firms have got the pick of the crop paying terrible rates but they are getting the staff. The way things are now I`m afraid. Also the place is flooded with 4 week wonders who have paid up to 3 and a half grand to become gas qualified ( I only paid 3) :LOL: and working for buttons to get experience. It`s all gone Pete Tong. :cry:

Sponsored Links
At the moment i'd appreciate either, obviously paid minimum would be a bonus but i understand that a lot of firms are struggling. Ideally i would be hoping to work for the company that i would be trained up by and therefore not needing to undercut or poach anyone elses business opportunity.

Probably the worst time you could have picked to go into this profession. To be honest, I doubt anyone would take you on for free at moment, if they do it will probably to exploit you to labour for them, then finish you up as soon as they have earned their money. Many experienced fully qualified plumbers/gas fitters/engineers are struggling at the moment and a lot of firms have got the pick of the crop paying terrible rates but they are getting the staff. The way things are now I`m afraid. Also the place is flooded with 4 week wonders who have paid up to 3 and a half grand to become gas qualified ( I only paid 3) :LOL: and working for buttons to get experience. It`s all gone Pete Tong. :cry:

I agree, its a very sad state of affairs

I believe Aldi are paying £9 per hour to stack shelves etc, it`s not looking too bad a proposition for me, mine and my mortgage at moment, believe me. :cry:

why dont you be proactive and do it for yourself, you gotta start somewhere! whether its working for a time served plumber or a corporate company youre gonna have to go it alone sometime.

If its a 6129 course you'll be predominantly fitting bathrooms so stick an ad in the local rag, get some flyers printed and start sticking them through letterboxes. you may only need to land one bathroom to see you through the summer period.

I'm sure you will find someone in your area to oblige.

Talk of this 'recession' really pees me off. Work is out there, you just have to recognise where it is and how to get it. There is more to being a gas engineer than being just a gas engineer who gets his hands dirty.

I have an aggressive business plan for expansion from this autumn onwards.

I plan to be taking on fully qualified, motivated RGI's then, but only the top ones need apply, with excellent customer service skills.

Trouble is with my reputation, I'm going to struggle to find people who come up to scratch. :mad:

Talk of this 'recession' really pees me off. Work is out there, you just have to recognise where it is and how to get it. There is more to being a gas engineer than being just a gas engineer who gets his hands dirty.

I was as naive as you up until february this year, didn`t care, everyone going on about it, didn`t bother me, until it did and I lost three contracts this year to cowboys, cost me nearly 2 years work and four excellent time served plumbers, gas fitters I`ll never get back.

I plan to be taking on fully qualified, motivated RGI's then, but only the top ones need apply, with excellent customer service skills.

Best of luck, be prepared for the crunch it will hit you soon.

Trouble is with my reputation, I'm going to struggle to find people who come up to scratch.

You may find yourself in the queue my friend.

Thats a very long jump forward for someone who until now refused to even take on a trainee or an apprentice!

I will be interested to see where you are going to find these top RGIs from!

Tony

he has a point dave

all the good RGI are doing their own thing and not looking for work.

only way to get a good RGI IMHO is make em yourself

:)

Tony, I did have an apprentice, as I have posted before, butr it did not work out.

Things have slowed down for me, I no longer have to work weekends and evenings :eek: :LOL:

The point is one should look at it as a business, not as a being just a gas fitter/plumber.

I'm always looking for new business opportunities, whether they be in gas/heating or outside the trade.

The latest one I got pipped to the post on was an ex naafi that will make an absolute fortune in its position. I saw it up for auction whilst I was servicing several boilers that I have a contract on, so instantly I asked all the customers what they needed in their area. Guess what they said.

Called to put an offer in and it had just been sold :cry:

If you want to sit at home waiting for the phone to ring, then be my guest, but I sure as not will be doing the same.

You always have to have a few irons in the fire. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back