En suite soil pipe advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering to build an en suite in the attic room of my house. Its a 1890s terrace fairly standard in the North of England. There is pipework up to the attic level since there was previously some sort of tank or immersion heater in the attic so it should be able to be plumbed in. My concern is around the soil pipe and if its feasible to fit one.

I've had a look at the building regs and spoken to the council who confirm the proposed site of the en suite would be within the 6m max distance to Soil Stack required of a soil pipe. But I want to know, since the eaves of the roof meet the wall at the floor level, would it be possible to take the soil pipe out through the attic space, or would I need to drop down through the floor into the level below. I assume doing this would be visible in the room below and I want to avoid it if possible.

A cross section of proposal, what the space looks like, and what it would look like, birds eye proposal of the room. Thanks!

Attachments

• ensuite cross section.png
    ensuite cross section.png
    65.3 KB · Views: 202
  • photo5936306636513719611.jpg
    photo5936306636513719611.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 151
  • ArtistsImpression.png
    ArtistsImpression.png
    432 KB · Views: 175
  • EnsuiteTopDown.png
    EnsuiteTopDown.png
    162.4 KB · Views: 148
Sponsored Links
Can go straight out through the roof, then turn back on itself or 'dogleg' around the gutter, seen it done. Main consideration would be getting the vent pipe high enough to avoid any odours coming back into the room, and then supporting the vertical section. (It is do-able though.)

Is the stack a straight vertical run to the ground from below the proposed connection point?

Wheres the existing stack?
Can you not bring the stack up to meet the new connection and then take a vent up.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. Stack is actually on the right on the other end of the room, i.e. not in a straight line along the brick wall from the proposed site in the picture. But it is vertical run to the ground and has an open top for ventilation which extends past the roof. Ideally I would go diagonal across the attic space and then out the wall and into the stack but I suppose I could go straight out of the roof, and then dogleg to the right and connect to the stack. So I would need this extended upward to prevent odours coming back into room?

Birdeye view would look like this

Attachments

• soil to stack ensuite.png
    soil to stack ensuite.png
    50.2 KB · Views: 142

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back