END OF THE WORLD IN 8 DAYS

You'll be telling me next the earth goes round the sun.

Sponsored Links
Potential power
Quote:
(Antimatter has tremendous energy potential, if it could ever be harnessed. A solar flare in July 2002 created about a pound of antimatter, or half a kilo, according to new NASA-led research. That's enough to power the United States for two days.

Laboratory particle accelerators can produce high-energy antimatter particles, too, but only in tiny quantities. Something on the order of a billionth of a gram or less is produced every year.

Nonetheless, sci-fi writers long ago devised schemes using antimatter to power space travelers beyond light-speed. Antimatter didnt get a bad name, but it sunk into the collective consciousness as a purely fictional concept. Given some remarkable physics breakthrough, antimatter could in theory power a spacecraft. But NASA researchers say it's nothing that will happen in the foreseeable future.

Meanwhile, antimatter has proved vitally useful for medical purposes. The fleeting particles of antimatter are also created by the decay of radioactive material, which can be injected into a patient in order to perform Positron Emission Tomography, or PET scan of the brain. Here's what happens:

A positron that's produced by decay almost immediately finds an electron and annihilates into two gamma rays, Share explains. These gamma rays move in opposite directions, and by recording several of their origin points an image is produced. }

Just found this article perhaps the first and second paragraphs show with the OIL running out? they are looking for alternatives.

Sponsored Links
I posted this earlier.

So today has gone ok apparently. But all this talk of Black Holes and the Earth being sucked in and everything as we know it ending has got me thinking...

Some scientists have said there is a 'possiblity' of creating Mini Black Holes (possibly one every second), but they have also said that these mini black holes would disappear within a second or so (if Stephen Hawkings theories are correct). But they don't REALLY know. They aren't even sure what new Atoms they will/might create. If they create a 'Strange Atom' or 'Strangelet' then that Atom would essentially attach itself to every other atom on the planet.. still end of world etc etc.

Now there are arguments on both sides of this debate. But what I thought today was... suppose this all happened once before. Suppose a bunch of 'clever' Scientists previously created a similar machine. What if, they did that and the result was that their world disappeared into the Black Hole that they created. We wouldn't know would we? Its not like there would be bits of computer etc flying around space because it would all be consumed by a Black Hole. Perhaps our very existence is due to a previous experiment of this kind a few billion years ago!

Hey, I don't know but then the science isn't exactly... well... exact! Its just a thought.

Further,
Cern Project leader Lyn Evans said, "This is a machine of enormous complexity. Things can go wrong at any time. But this morning we had a great start."
Oh well that's ok then. as long as you had a great start eh?... 'it was all going so well then, POW!!!! a Black Hole ate EVERYTHING'! :eek:

Scientists halted the particle beam's counter-clockwise spin temporarily on Wednesday afternoon after problems with the machine's magnets caused its temperature to warm slightly.

CERN officials said such minor glitches were to be expected given the intricacy of the machine, which is cooled to minus 271.3 degrees Celsius (minus 456.3 degrees Fahrenheit).
So what happens if it 'warms slightly' when they are flinging particals around at the speed of light and smashing them into each other?...

"Hey, is it getting warm in here? Wow look! its a Black Ho........................................................................................................................."

Right who do i sue . Got up this morning told the mrs what i thought of her and have been sh##ing her best mate for two years . Thought well what does it matter we wont be here by tonight. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: talk about being in the deep S.... :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back