Need advice in a complex boiler situation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a bit complicated so please bear with me:

I've been working with an architect to totally strip my flat down to its skeleton and then rebuild something different. We are about 1 week from finishing the specs to go out to tender, the specs had called for a new combi condensing boiler from Vaillant or Worcester Bosch. Construction would hopefully start middle to end of Jan.

I live alone in my London flat which is about 1100 sq ft and there will be one Grohe drencher style shower in the new flat and no automatic dishwasher and no bath. The Grohe showerhead I've chosen has a spec of 8 l/m at .5 bar as I remember. There are even more efficient ones that I've seen (5.8 l/m which would be ok too). I have a washing machine and there will be a guest bathroom. That's what's coming up shortly.

So of course this week my current boiler, a Vokera Mynute 28SE attached to a megaflow has decided to be a problem, it makes loudish banging like noises. I called a heating company with good local recommendations on the local forum and one of the workmen came over and after a brief inspection said that the problem was with the flue. He showed me that with the cover of the boiler off, that the boiler stopped making noises (he said) because the boiler was breathing properly. Put the cover back over the boiler and the knocking noises return. He said the whole thing is potentially dangerous because of CO and turned off my boiler. He told me that Vokera won't have that flue in stock anymore as its too old.

Then the heating firm's owner came over to give me a quote on a new boiler and I told him about the planned rebuild and the plans for a combi. He asked what kind of set up I'd be having when I was finished and I outlined the above specs. Then he did a quick water flow test with a plastic cup like device on my current kitchen sink and measured 10 l/m. He said he didn't think a combi boiler would be sufficient for a drencher shower (I hadn't gone into the Grohe details with him because at the time I didn't know them). He said I should get a new boiler with a megaflow or some similar type of storage tank.

Unfortunately there is no room in the new design for a storage tank.

In a perfect world I'd move out in Feb when the rebuild happens but this flue issue sounds scary and I feel I should do something but I can't see my way through this.

I'm using my current boiler intermittently with CO detectors all over the flat (they are the digital readout type and none of them are registering any CO though I realise they are less than totally accurate).

I've contacted Vockera to find out if there are any flues I can buy but haven't heard back from them.

So I'm totally stuck. I don't know if a combi will work for my needs or if I need a system with a storage tank (and some major redesign of my new plans).

The other complication is that a condensing boiler apparently needs a 3 degree downwards slope on the flue which means that it can't stay at its current location which requires a 3.7 metre flue. The drop for a condenser boiler won't fit in the ceiling cavity that's available. So I'll have to move the boiler once the rebuild starts. It's all too complex to figure out the best way forward.

Can anyone clarify what I will really need for the new flat, what is the easiest way to get through the next 8 or so weeks until the rebuild happens?

Sponsored Links
The biggest problem you have is your flow rate, for a 2 bathroom property I would install a grundfos home booster

http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/grundfos-homebooster-unit/

and a high flow combi, vaillant 837 would do nicely, there is not much point having nice new bathrooms if you dont enjoy using them,

turn off your old boiler and use the immersion heater for hot water and get a couple of oil filled radiators to keep the chill off.

If your boiler does indeed need a flue, then you can still obtain replacement ones for a vokera mynute.
Its a diferent part number to what is listed in the spares parts list.

Did he actually show you the problem with the flue? Seems an odd diagnosis.

If your boiler does indeed need a flue, then you can still obtain replacement ones for a vokera mynute.
Its a diferent part number to what is listed in the spares parts list.

Did he actually show you the problem with the flue? Seems an odd diagnosis.

No he didn't show me anything except how with the front cover off of the Vokera and the metal plate covering the unit pulled up the banging and misbehaving immediately stopped and when he lowered it the banging started back up. Modern life is wonderful except it's built on trust. :oops: Do you have any ideas of what it might be?

I'm really grateful to all who reply and I'll be using our friend Google to try to learn more about your suggestions.

Cheers,
Eric

Sponsored Links
Just a point to remember is that all flues need to be acsessable for inspection/repair-so if its going to be routed in a ceiling void u may at the very least have to install acsess panels to allow this.
Plus some manufacturers actually build the nessessary fall into the flue inner on there co-axil flues eliminating the need for the assembly to be sloped.(have to check with manufacturer).
or if u have a roof above u go vertical ie:not another resident.
Also some multi occupancy buildings have booster tanks in which case it may be possible to improve supply.

You seem to be very fixated with existing designs and systems rather than wanting to find a solution.

Unfortunately architects are usually very unfamiliar with heating systems and only a very few seem to know a competent heating engineer.

To me the obvious solution would be for you to engage a heating consultant to advise you ( at a fee ).

But you seem to expect totally competent advice FREE from a forum when you neither know anything about the people advising you who mostly hide their identities, dont have Professional Indemnity Insurance, and have not even seen the property.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back