Energy cost of 4 x 5W led downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have various lights outside my house and they stay on for around 5 hours each night.

Can someone please provide an approximate electricity cost for these. I was wondering if it would make much difference if I dropped this down to 3W.

Sponsored Links
Simply , and very simple way to compare - although other factors may apply

the rate you pay is based on KW for 1 hour
KW = 1000 watts
so 4x5W = 20W

1000 / 20 = 50 Hours

so you can keep those lights on for 50Hrs and pay , whatever your KW rate is somewhere between about 16p - 25p

so if you reduce to 3W
then 4 x 3W = 12W

1000/12 = 83.3 Hours

so you can keep those lights on for 83.3 Hrs and pay , whatever your KW rate is somewhere between about 16p - 25p

5hrs each night

50/5 = 10days

83/5 = 16.6 days

Last edited:
the rate you pay is based on KW for 1 hour
KW = 1000 watts
so 4x5W = 20W

1000 / 20 = 50 Hours

so you can keep those lights on for 50Hrs and pay , whatever your KW rate is somewhere between about 16p - 25p

Let's be pessimistic and go with 25p per KW. That's only 25p every 10 days. I thought it may be a lot higher.
Thanks again.

I was wondering if it would make much difference if I dropped this down to 3W.
Well 3W is 60% of 5W so clearly changing will save 40% energy costs. But lights will be 40% dimmer as well. You don’t get out for nowt.

Sponsored Links
Just think how much those with the massive old 500w ones will be paying.. :)

I have various lights outside my house and they stay on for around 5 hours each night.

Can someone please provide an approximate electricity cost for these. I was wondering if it would make much difference if I dropped this down to 3W.

The 3w lamps will cost 3/5 as much as the 5w to run. 20w total consumption versus 12w using 3w LED's.

I have several 3.5w LED's in use around the house, inside and we find them perfectly adequate. Hall, landing, bathroom and downstairs toilet are all adequately lit by 3.5w ceiling lights. How much actual light is needed, depends very much on the task being carried out and the type of fitting the lamp is in. Outdoors, I use 8w LED for area lighting, even that makes little difference due to the size of my garden. If I need to find my way around my garden or drive after dark, then I have a series of remote control discharge lights mounted at the eaves, controllable from my phone, via Alexa.

The 8w I also have controlled on and off via Alexa, programmed to come on at dusk, off at 11pm.

Last edited:
Is the Lumens rating significant here or is that implicit in the Wattage of a bulb?

As said lumens is the amount of light you get out , the energy turns into heat and light.
Also the type of light , warm light, cool light , daylight makes a difference to how the area looks.
We had a daylight and a cool light LED strip in son-inlaws garage and the difference was quite marked, changed to all daylight 6500K
You may also see Colour Temperature Value, in Kelvins K - (same scale as Centigrade BUT the 0 starts at absolute, rather than freezing water), thats the light temp - https://www.ucl.ac.uk/slade/know/746

Depending on where you live there is also effectively an ecological cost also that you may want to consider.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back