Energy Efficiency

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a Vaillant 828 boiler at home, supplying a 4-bedroomed detached house, and it it run off a big LPG tank in the back garden to supply CH and DHW. The LPG bills are enormous and, according to my spreadsheets, uses about 15 litres a day over winter (which was about £4.50 a day last year) and I do not keep my house particularly hot. Don't know how old the boiler is but, if I were going to guess, I would say about 20 years.

There is cavity wall insulation of a sort, kind of fibre-glassy, but when I recently fitted a tumble-dryer duct, there does not appear to be a great deal of it. Whether this is because it has all settled down the bottom or something I don't know, but it was decidedly wispy.

Is there any rule of thumb to tell me, based on the skimpy info above, how much money I could save by going for a more efficient boiler so I can work out how long it would pay back over. Is a solid-fuel granules boiler a better option, or should I invest in getting the insulation redone.

All advice gratefully received.....

Sponsored Links
effieciency on the turbomax 828e is 70% and on a condensing boiler around 90% with a few other energy saving controls added it should save a bit more fuel.

Thanks,

In simple terms, does that mean I would save 2/9 of my fuel bills ?

Incidentally, I may have misled when I said it was an 828 - Its actuially a 282....

Ah the old battleship eh, still sedbuk F.....70% efficient.

Sponsored Links
Ever thought of looking into oil. Dont know what the comparison is at the moment but 2 years a go my brother in law swapped & claimed a saving of 50% on his heating bills. Here say though.

ollski said:
effieciency on the turbomax 828e is 70%
where do you get that from ollski? According to www.boilers.org the LPG version of the 828E is 81.5% efficient (SAP). The older 282 doesn't have a figure given, but in reality would be expected to have a similar efficiency.

Google doesn't seem to recognise little green book of boilers. Can you give a link or something? I would prefer to take the authenticated SEBUK ratings from boilers.org myself.

one of the books that came with your energy efficency training course gives all the details for all boilers. i think that one was reffered to as the little grren book of boilers.Could be wrong :)

That exposes me as one of those who still hasn't done the Energy Efficiency course. But since I was installing fully controlled and zoned systems 25 years ago, long before her maj's government decided these things were important, I take exception to being told that I need training. Anyway the 70% figure given for the Vaillant 828 is clearly wrong so perhaps the training isn't up to much, after all.

Vaillant 828e is sedbuk d with a rating of 81.5. this rating is taken from sedbuk.com, so chris your link is spot on. who needs the training when you have the net. ;)

lcgs said:
Vaillant 828e is sedbuk d with a rating of 81.5. this rating is taken from sedbuk.com, so chris your link is spot on. who needs the training when you have the net. ;)

Thats the ecomax 828e not the turbomax 828e.

i think you'll find the ecomax is band A and 92.2
Lee

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back