Energy Efficient Light Bulbs

Funny that. I put one (energy saving lightbulb 40w) on my front porch light about 4 months ago and it's 'blown' already. Barely lasted longer than a normal light bulb.
Anyone know why this happened because it stated that the energy saving bulb would last for something like 3000 hours !! (Not) :confused:

Sponsored Links
Nickthedentist said:
..........Sainsbury's have a good selection at reasonable prices (about £2). Choose the Osram "Dulux EL Longlife" ones (green box) over the Osram "Energy Saver" (white box) ones, as they seem to be more compact for a given power output.
Nick.

I agreee, recently bought several Sains' Osram longlife 20 watt (100Watt equiv') type, very pleased with the 'up to speed' light output and the price around £2 each. They are noticeably better by output or type of light? than 'Ring' models I had purchased a year or so previously, maybe they too are better now?.
I have two external, single remote 'sensor', switched lights, using 60 watt 3000hr Ring incandescent bulbs, they switch on and off regularly the range being just beyond my drive entrance... Cannot remember replacing a bulb in years !
-

claudeballs said:
Funny that. I put one (energy saving lightbulb 40w) on my front porch light about 4 months ago and it's 'blown' already. Barely lasted longer than a normal light bulb.
Anyone know why this happened because it stated that the energy saving bulb would last for something like 3000 hours !! (Not) :confused:
is it on a PIR?

does it get switched off and on often?

is there condensation in the fitting?

does the bulb get wet ever?

Sponsored Links
davas said:
read somewhere that a number of ASDA stores were doing energy saving bulbs for 47p each if anyone is interested

probably promoting replacing those 100w tungsten lamps with 40w ones, thus "saving energy" at cost of having less light :rolleyes:

crafty1289 said:
claudeballs said:
is it on a PIR?

1) It's not on a PIR
2) Yes - every night.
3) Not that I can see
4) No - it's at the side of the door under the porch so there's no contact with water.

:confused:

claudeballs said:
crafty1289 said:
claudeballs said:
is it on a PIR?

1) It's not on a PIR
2) Yes - every night.
3) Not that I can see
4) No - it's at the side of the door under the porch so there's no contact with water.

:confused:
Take it back and demand a replacement - it's not of "merchantable quality" so they have fallen foul of the Sale of Goods Act and/or the Trades Descriptions Act if the box claims a lifetime very much longer than you got, as seems to be the case.

Cheers,

Howard

I was placing my Groceries order with Tesco the other day, and noticed they are selling compacts very cheap. So I bought a few.

"10 Ge 11w Bayonet Cap (60w) 6 Years Low Energy Stick 1pk Each £0.47 £4.70"

But I agree the "equivalent to" is usually optimistic. I use a 20W or 25W Phillips Globe where I would have used a 100W before, and I consider the 11W are about right for bedside or table lamps, or some wall lights where I have 4 in the hall, I would have use 40W tungsten filaments before, the 11W are a bit brighter as well as cheaper to run. The stick bulbs are whiter and brighter than the Phillips Globes but not such a soft warm colour.

I just had a look at my kitchen lamp, I it runs all evening, and daytime in the summer, I wrote "18/5/2001" on it as date of fitting (a Philips 20W Globe). The landing lamp was Feb 2000. Neither these shows any fading or flickering.

These energy saving lamps do cause some issues with waste because each one contains a small "ballast" with precious and often toxic metals. So if you do use them make sure you recycle them (Ikea have bins for them to be recycled at).

Kev

arctic said:
These energy saving lamps do cause some issues with waste because each one contains a small "ballast" with precious and often toxic metals. So if you do use them make sure you recycle them (Ikea have bins for them to be recycled at).

Kev
Isn't ballast an inductor - copper wire over steel core? Nothing precious or toxic about these - or if so I have a huge problem with the plumbing in my house! :)

Cheers,

Howard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back