ENGINE ELECTRONIC WARNING LIGHT ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ASTRA 1.6i GLS, 16V, P 1996, 34,000Miles

In the last 7 to 8 weeks my Engine Electronics Warning Light has come on 3 times. To assist you all I will post the three occasions and the facts surrounding it.

BEG OF FEB 2006. Driving to work (18 miles) away, approx 5 miles before I arrived my EEWL came on. I pulled over and looked at my manual to locate the light / problem. I then turned off my engine and left it for 5 min and then restarted it again. The light stayed out for the rest of the journey to work. That night I drove home and the light never came on.

CAR USED EVERY DAY IN BETWEEN, RUNNING WELL, NO WARNING LIGHT ON. ALL OIL, WATER ETC FINE. STARTS FINE. RUNS GREAT

BEG MAR 2006. Exactly the same happened as above. On an 18 mile journey to work and approx 5 miles away the EEWL came on. Got to work, switched off the engine. Returned to the car that night, drove home and all was fine.

CAR USED EVERY DAY IN BETWEEN, RUNNING WELL, NO WARNING LIGHT ON. ALL OIL, WATER ETC FINE. STARTS FINE, RUNS GREAT.

TUESDAY 28 MAR 2006. My wife was driving the car to the local train station some 2 miles away, just before she arrived the EEWL came on. She parked , switched off the engine. Returned 8 hours later, drove home no EEWL on and car seemed fine.

Since Tuesday of this week the car has been great. Running great, fuel ok, water / oil fine, no issues that would arouse any questions in relation to the problem.

Booked the car into Vauxhalls next Tuesday. To run a test on the Engine Electronics they want £ 50.00. I am now trying to get them to answer the following questions ? Awaiting a return phone call !!!

Q1. Will the fault show up if the warning light is NOT on ?

Q2. If they cannot guarantee the fault will be found when the warning light is NOT illuminated, the next time the light comes on, can i drive it to them for another test with the light ON free of charge ???

I would appreciate all your thoughts / comments / advise on this matter.

My thought is a possible surge which illuminates the light and upon turning the engine off it clears the fault ?

Light on 3 times in past 8 weeks and the car is running like a dream. Service done November last year. New timing belt, oil + filter change plus usual winter service requirements. New battery January this year.

Thanks to all who reply in advance........... :confused:

Sponsored Links
Sorry I missed the questions lol Yes it should show up, it keeps the fault codes in the OBD ( on board diagnostics)

Lynn Bet it isn't the EGR anyway .... knowing me lol

E.G.R ? Big job ? Problem ?

Assume its a visit to Vauxhalls to find the exact problem. STILL awaiting a call back from those lovely people............

Sponsored Links
No not a big job or problem especially if you just disconnect it and blank it off roflol
Wait and see what the "guys" say, I'm probably wrong.
Lynn

davy, where are you in west lothian. we r in dunfermline. if you can make it over one evening i can plug in to tech2 (dealer diag system) and tell ypu any codes stored and if any obvious faults. no cost if you come in about 7.00. takes 5-10 mins. tech is what vauxhall use. doesn't show anything all its cost you is the petrol. would do the same fo r any forum member.

Davieboy. Thanks a million for your reply. Im in Livingston but a wee drive over the bridge would be no problem at all. I'm avail from poss wednesday next week onwards, so what ever is best for you.

I did try Vauxhall in West Calder but after having my car for 6 hours they called to say the equipment to test my vehicle type / model had gone missing !

Wait to here from you with the best day / time and how you want to communicate your address info.

Cheers. Davy007

any evening ok for me. i'm at the workshop till about 7 most nights. can stay back nae probs. i dont want to gaurantee i can fix it but i will hapily plug in to tech2 and tell you if there are any codes stored, what may cause them and if it is anything obvious. dont take long with the right equipment. e-mail addy in profile. let me know and i will mail you with address/directions.

petrol don't cost much :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back