Engine noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question - my fiesta 01 1.3 makes a kind of whistling or high pitched sound when slightly depressing the accelerator pedal, it only seems to do it when it's slightly depressed as any further or foot off the pedal and it can't be heard. Also in neutral can't hear it. We have a 2000 fiesta 1.3 too and in this car it can still be heard but is much quieter and less pronounced. It's not particularly loud or anything but was just curious as to what it could be and why it would differ between the two cars. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Since this engine is chain driven we can discount the cambelt. It may well be the aux belt which drives the alternator, power steering, aircon and waterpump which needs replacing. The more the throttle is pressed the faster this belt with turn which might explain it.

i agree check how tight your alternator belt is, it may need adjusting, or if it`s a spring loaded tension type this may need replacing.

How much would you be talking of to replace the aux belt?

Sponsored Links
dose it wistel when you pres the culch if so it could be the thrush baring if not dose it cleer if you give the car a rev

No the clutch is fine. It's only when slightly accelerating or foot off the pedal that the whining occurs, put your foot down and it goes away.

I've been looking round local garages to get a quote for replacing the aux belt and checking the rear brakes. As for the noise, the brake fluid reservoir was very overfilled for months until I took some out with a pipette. Could this have anything to do with it? The belt is slightly glazed and shiny so I don't know if this is causing it or not. By the way is the aux belt the fan belt?

I have looked around at posts on the net and is there also a chance it may be the alternator, water pump or a bearing? The whining's defintely coming from under the bonnet and sounds a bit electrical in nature although it's hard to describe. I think it is present when idling and seems to be rev-related. Thanks

Don't think the fans are belt driven - iirc it is only things like the alternator, power steering pump, air con pump (if fitted), water pump and a couple of idle wheels are normally that are connected.

I've noticed that when the car is idling ie stood still with the engine on or at junctions there is a whirring sound not present in the other 1.3 fiesta, but by pressing the clutch down it goes away. So pressing the clutch or giving the accelerator more juice makes the noise go away. Given a quote of £28 to replace the belt so may just have that done and hope that's the problem. Opened the bonnet with the engine on and it does sound a bit loud there. Any ideas?

could be the thrust bearing for the clutch if it stops when you push the clutch down

Hi a tip to stop the belt squealing is to rub some french chalk on the inner edge of the belt if the squealing stops then i would recommend fitting a new belt..HTH...

I think it might be the clutch as had the belt checked and the garage said it was fine. Also there is often a burning smell when you get out of the car after a long journey which isn't the brakes. Is this likely to be the clutch? The whining happens in neutral but pressing the clutch pedal makes it go away.

Sponsored Links
Back