Enlargening hole with flat wood bit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a 22mm hole through a door for a bolt which needs replacing with one which is 25mm wide. Can I use a 25mm flat wood bit accurately to make it bigger to accommodate this or is there a better way? My concern is that the drill bit will wander as there is nothing for it to bite into.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
square off the hole a bit
glue in a block to fit the the hole and start again when dry
or in this instance just use the sharp chisel to enlarge the hole to a square the correct size assuming a faceplate that will allow this

Drill a hole with your 25mm bit is a scrap of wood, clamp it centrally over the 22mm hole and drill away. The hole in the scrap will guid the bit so it won't wander or snatch.

Works with holesaws as well

Jason

Sponsored Links
Drill a hole with your 25mm bit is a scrap of wood, clamp it centrally over the 22mm hole and drill away. The hole in the scrap will guid the bit so it won't wander or snatch.

Works with holesaws as well

Jason

But you'd have to use an auger bit for the clamped bitof wood to hold it centrally, if you use a flat bit then once the flat part goes through the clamped bit of wood your left with a 1/4" shank waving about like a sausage in a bucket ;)

But you'd have to use an auger bit for the clamped bitof wood to hold it centrally, if you use a flat bit then once the flat part goes through the clamped bit of wood your left with a 1/4" shank waving about like a sausage in a bucket

Once the flat bit has started to enlarge the hole the two edges of theflat will be guided by this.

Given that you should drill from both sides with a flat bit that means you only need 22mm (assume half a 44mm door) depth from each side and a flat bit is usually about 40mm long so almost half would still be in the scrap

Jason

Failing all else use a gouge or a 1/4" chisel and pare away the 1.5mm or so from the hole, it'll be covered by the furnature anyway.

you can get holesaws that "stack".. one inside the other..

if you buy an arbour that the drill dit goes all th way through ( ie not a hex shank one ) then you can take out the drill bit and fit it to a 22mm blade, then slot the whole thing onto the pilot bit of a 25mm holesaw and arbour..

all your fears are well founded I stopped using flat bits in the late 1970s and changed over to augers what type of hardware is this bolt ?

Of course, if you don't want you use JasonB's excellent suggestion there is a type of bit made specifically for the task - the traditional Forstner bit. With those you need to turn the drill backwards a couple of revolutions to whilst pressing down to generate a "track" for the bit to follow before drilling the hole. True Forstner bits, as opposed to the cheap solid body ubbish palmed off as Forstners, are designed to be guided by their rims - unlike every other bit you'll ever use which either require a centre point to goide them (brad points, flat/spade bits, etc) or have a threaded nose to pull them ionto the work (augers, etc). Personally I'd use JasonB's suggestion

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back