Ensuite bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Posting in a new forum kinda feels like running out on freshly fallen snow (well, perhaps with a couple of footprints in already in this case!)

Am thinking of putting an ensuite into the master bedroom. It has enough room to take a small one, but I'm not sure of the regs I need to be aware of.

Specifically, I'm thinking I have to do something with insulation in the stud wall (seem to remember reading that one on this forum before).

And think I need to put an extractor out through the exterior of the house to reduce damp - this would be the front, does that mean it needs approval in some way?)

I'm not in an area that has houses that are really old etc. Only 1960s/1070s.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You would need to put in an extractor fan if there is no window in the shower/bathroom.

You do not need permission to put in a fan but rules exist as to the rate of flow with regard to the size of the bathroom.
Insulation has to be added in the internal walls but the rules are not as strict as that for the outside walls.

My advise is that you go and see your local council Building Control and then act accordingly.

You do not need permission to install an extractor fan but if it is in a bathroom you need the electrical wiring certificated. Same goes with lights (and shower if it is electric). BC also need to be aware that you are connecting into existing drainage or forming new.

If any of the electrical work falls within the zones of the bath or shower as defined by the IEE 16th edn regulations then the work will be notifiable to the LABC under Part P.

It leaves you two options if there is any of this work - employ an electrician who can self certify compliance with the building regs (need to be a memeber of a competent person scheme - see here: http://www.competentperson.co.uk/ )

or

you may notify your LABC yourself before starting, pay their fee and let them oversee compliance with the building regs.

Sponsored Links
If any of the electrical work falls within the zones of the bath or shower as defined by the IEE 16th edn regulations then the work will be notifiable to the LABC under Part P.

What happened to the 17th edition ;)

What happened to the 17th edition ;)
The law has not been amended to refer to the definitions in the 17th, so for now the criterion for notifiable work in bathrooms is still whether it's within the Zones defined in the 16th.

No it isn't, that would be illegal. :p

Actually, it would not be.
WRONG.

If need be there is the option for regularisation at a later date.
Indeed, and in reality if all that had happened was that approval hadn't been sought when it should have been then of course they'd go down the regularisation route in preference to prosecution.

But that does not mean that the original acts were not illegal, and you should not falsely advise people that they would not be.

woody tonight!
resize_egg-on-face1.jpg

Work which can be regularised, or indeed where the Building Act makes allowance for relaxation of the Building Regulations, cannot be illegal in the first place.

AFAIK, there can't be a situation, in English law, where an unlawful act can be reversed by carrying out another act (ie regularisation) and then suddenly become lawful

Ban all sheds seems to get all his information from Google and loves to cut and paste.

So in summary .... Ban all Sheds - make sure you actually know what you are on about. And Freddies twin, if the egg fits ...wear it :rolleyes:

Work which can be regularised, or indeed where the Building Act makes allowance for relaxation of the Building Regulations, cannot be illegal in the first place.

AFAIK, there can't be a situation, in English law, where an unlawful act can be reversed by carrying out another act (ie regularisation) and then suddenly become lawful

Am a bit confused here - you seem to be suggesting that if the op just did the work, then this wouldn't necessarily be unlawful provided it can be regularised. But if doing the work is (legally?) notifiable under the 16th/17th editions, then your second paragraph seems to be saying that it would be unlawful

Are the IEE regs enforceable as standalone legislation?

Or just a set of standards?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back