Entrotec ED4 not working (suspect no power)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Looking for a little help with our Entrotec ED4 system, would be grateful for any advice, please and thank you! For ease of reading I'll bullet point what the issues are:

• The old handset (not sure how many years, but very old) was falling apart and the speaker wire disconnected from the back of the speaker.
  • Took it apart carefully and re-soldered the speaker wires - when putting the old handset back and re-connecting the wires in the same order, it would not power up - we tested and could still hear each other through the intercom, but it would not ring or buzz the door open.
  • Ordered brand new Entrotec ED4 unit - arrived yesterday. Wired everything up as shown in the pic attached, just as it was in the old unit (New handset.jpeg). No joy. Not ringing when called. If I know my wife is calling and I lift the handset we can hear each other fine. Cannot open door with button. Privacy button LED not lighting up.
  • Visited next door neighbour who has the same system. Took a picture of the inside - attached (Neighbour.jpeg). Wiring is the same as mine. Made sure the PL5 and LK 1,2,3 pins were tested in all possible configurations - still the same issue.
  • For reference, attaching a picture of our old Entrotec and the new one side by side. New is right, old is left.
  • Checked carefully the wires that connect to it to make sure no breaks are felt along the wires, re-snipped and exposed the wires again, reconnected everything, still no joy.

• It feels there's a power issue. The microphone and speaker work fine. There is no ring sound when someone is calling, we cannot buzz the door open or engage privacy mode. I read in an earlier post that the coding of the wires is: DS – Door Status
    DR – Door Release
    VT – DC in 12V
    BZ – Buzz input
    S2 - Mic
    S1 - Speaker
    0V – Ground
  • I have a multi-meter - picture attached below (Multimeter.jpeg), but don't have the skills to know how to check for power delivery, would appreciate some guidance on how to do it.

I fully appreciate that everyone's time is very valuable and any help would be greatly appreciated. If there's any way to repay for your solution to our problem, would be happy to look into that.

Getting an electrician in is not an option as this is not considered essential work during the lock- down. It's also a massive disturbance to us as we can't open for deliveries which is pretty much the only way to supply the house these days.

Many many thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• New handset.JPEG
    New handset.JPEG
    282 KB · Views: 394
  • Neighbour.jpeg
    Neighbour.jpeg
    248.9 KB · Views: 335
  • New (right) vs Old (left).JPEG
    New (right) vs Old (left).JPEG
    246.1 KB · Views: 370
  • Multimeter.JPEG
    Multimeter.JPEG
    433.4 KB · Views: 333
Sponsored Links
What dc voltage do you get between VT and 0v.....your meter set at V- 20 range ?

Hi, with the positive voltmeter lead on VT and the negative on 0V, at V-20 range the result is 0.74.

So ....more than likely the fuse is blown in the controller ( large grey box ) depending on the age of the system it may look like this inside ....A63E78DE-396E-4F68-9714-3753902E3A5B.jpegF04D0242-1206-4B38-B652-6E4B8D5150AD.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I see, thank you!! So the fuse is the black plastic one perpendicular to the right of the green connector? Could you tell me what kind of fuse it is please? I might find one on Amazon. Now to locate this controller box and hopefully my flat is marked!!

500ma fast blow
If you can get someone to call your flat while someone is stood at the controller you will see a led come on ....best way to find which one it is

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back