Entry door open chime volume adjustment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a chime on the entry door which sounds on all the internal sounders throughout the house when the door is opened but it is too loud. How do I lower the volume. If there is a specific page in the instruction book, can someone point me to it. I managed to adjust the volume on the keypad but I don't recognise any of the instructions as to whether they appertain to the door chime.

Sponsored Links
From the picture and definition of the panel in the master handbook it looks like Premier Elite LCDLP/FMK/SMK with proximity tag control. Does this help you to help me?

If your control panel is a Texecom elite, then the chime volume is adjusted from the engineering function. You will need the engineers code for this.

Sponsored Links
Ouch. The engineers who fitted it were very dismissive and didn't take the matter seriously. I'll need to get the engineering code which they deliberately didn't give me! So this seems to be more of a social problem rather than a technical one.

Only, it's not really their code if it prevents the owner from adjusting his own system. Can it be that carrying out such minor adjustments as turning down the volume on chimes warrants a call out charge of £50-£60 pounds because the owner is prevented from adjusting his own equipment for lack of a code. But knowing that the adjustment I need is behind this engineers code wall at least allows me to ask them to make the adjustment. Thanks for the information

call out charges cover travel and first hour usually. You be hard pushed for an engineer to charge less and it be viable.

If you had a smart com or comip engineer could do it remotely.

You need to speak with Texecom wrt to having those volume options assigned to an end user.
Some volumes are and some aren't.

the only way to get access to the engineers code is to default it if its not locked or request the engineer changes it or adds an engineers code for your use, however doubt anyone would do that for you and still accept liability for the system

Only, it's not really their code if it prevents the owner from adjusting his own system. Can it be that carrying out such minor adjustments as turning down the volume on chimes warrants a call out charge of £50-£60 pounds because the owner is prevented from adjusting his own equipment for lack of a code. But knowing that the adjustment I need is behind this engineers code wall at least allows me to ask them to make the adjustment. Thanks for the information

I kinda agree with your post.

Our Premier Elite was first set up by a local company about 20 years ago. We had a service contract with them. Each time the alarm was armed or disarmed it cost us 7p for the phone call (our choice). That company was bought out by Abel Alarms, one day their engineer turned up to service the system. I asked if it were possible to put us one an 0800 number, He replied that we were lucky that we weren't on on of the 07 premium numbers. He omitted to tell us that he had just put us on the premium rate number. Our landline bill jumped by £70 per month.

We eventually refused to pay the service charge but were left with a system that we paid for and could not tweak. We ended up taking out a contract with another firm that I guess charged us a premium for taking over a system where they did not have the engineer code. As far as I am concerned we paid for the device, we were not renting it.

In a few minutes, I have to go to someone's house to set up a new PC. I would never dream of setting a BIOS password or admin password that they don't have access to just because I set up the computer and want to be paid for the life of the product.

If you have issue then you should contact CAB for advice on your legal rights.
These often differ from contracts you may have signed.

It is unreasonable to expect an alarm engineer to give you there code for a system they are maintaining.

That doesnt mean they shouldn't change it for you under agreement and leave you to it and have no liability for the system function.

All that said chime volume should be a user function as its not critical to operation and that is a manufacturing issue not an installer one.

It is not about allowing access, its about protecting the integrity of the system itself.

The door opening chime is so loud that we jump out of our skins every time it sounds. I can adjust just about every other chime volume but not this one. If it really is restricted to engineer code adjustment it is illogical. I have yet to pay the installers for the system so I'm not without some leverage but why would a chime volume that is not a high security function need exclusive engineers access. I'd be less concerned if the installers hadn't been so dismissive of our request to reduce the volume telling us that it was not excessive and that it couldn't be adjusted. We have to live with the system and they don't seem to worry that it is not acceptable to us.

I think mine is a Premier elite. I can turn the chime on and off. The engineer set it as loud as it would go, but I still don't hear it unless i'm in the hall or landing.

My high-freqency hearing is poor.

One thought; does the volume on the internal sounders apply to any sound that comes out of them or can it be tied to the function which is producing the sound? If the former, which is not sensible, then reducing volume for everything would not be acceptable for an intruder alarm situation and this might be why it is engineer controlled. On our previous system the volume was applied to the function not the emitting device so that chimes and setting tones were quiet but alarms were extremely loud. I really miss that old system! The installers are back next week to fit components that were not available for the first fix and so we will have to see how it plays then.

The chime volume can be adjusted separately to other sounds by an engineer (8 different volume levels).
The user can adjust the overall volume of all sounds from the speaker.

Can you put foam around the sounders to lessen the volume?

You mention installers but have not said if you have it under any maintenance contract?
IF not I would be expecting the engineers code myself before paying for any more work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back