EPDM roof covering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.
I'm thinking of recovering my flat roof using EPDM rather than felt.
Anybody out there used it, worked with it, had their own roof fitted with it & if so, how do you find it, is it worth the cost & does it do the job!
I would appreciate any comments & advice.
Thanks,
Harry.

Sponsored Links
what are its merits.

For a regular flat roof. 6x2, 19mm ply and insulation. What insuation would you recommend to put the epdm on. Does it bond well to knigspan for example.

Zeberdee said:
Hi, I'm a fitter of the EPDM Rubber. What would you like to know?

Zeberdee, is this the same as that Firestone stuff that I keep getting leaflets about? It comes all pre-cut in one giant square. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Similar yes, The Firestone hasn't got fleece backing. I fit a EPDM with a fleece backing and don't come ready cut. It comes in rolls and the fitters cut it to shape.

rocastle said:
what are its merits.

For a regular flat roof. 6x2, 19mm ply and insulation. What insuation would you recommend to put the epdm on. Does it bond well to knigspan for example.

If the insulation is ply backed than yes thats fine. The EPDM i fit is fleece backed so when used with the deck adhesive bonds very well.

Hello Zeberdee.
Sorry about the late reply.
I realise that the cost to cover a roof with epdm would be greater than traditional felt covering but how much more?
I have a 20 metre sq roof, roughly how much do you think it would cost?
Thanks again for replying.
Harry.

The cost does vary by company. I wouldn't like to put a price on it TBH.
As you said the cost will be much greater, However you'll not need to replace it again in your lifetime.

Well worth the money and looks a lot better than felt.

Hi, I have used EPDM on my shed roof (about 15 m2) and recently on the garageroof (45 m2) . Both have about 10 degree fall. You can put it straight on OSB boards if they are free of debris, or put an underlay first. It's completely waterproof and I will plant sedum on top for a green roof. That also gives you insulation. Only this increases the weight considerably and the roof structure has to be able to take that. The cost: About £ 350 for the small roof, so it is expensive, but I am sure over the long term well worth it. There are companies like aquaroof who send you a complete kit. Not a big problem to install yourself, depending on the size - avoit putting it up in gale force winds, like I had to, that really gets interesting!

Whats the real difference between firestone roof covering and firestone pond liner? (I'm assuming the pond liner is cheaper?)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
masona said:
Looking at that link, the pond liner is only 1mm thick

So how thick is the roofing stuff?

Only 1mm thick but if it can keep 100's litres of water in a pond, then surely it'll keep the rain out. Plus it'll be uv/rot/wildlife resistant.

Correct, If it can be used as a pond liner, it's going to keep out water as well.......If fitted correctly.

Another good thing is if it splits you simply patch the affected section.

I'm yet to see any real problems with it.

everything has a lifetime garauntee..............

............. it's just that some lives are shorter than others. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back