epoxy resin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The dozydog that I am I have bought a property on an in-fill site. Have lived 2 mins walk on same estate for 35 years. My house was built 2years before this one and have been in pratically all of them watching them being built. Don't shout at me but I didn't have a survey because no-one had ever had any problems. There is a crack running down the wall North East and another South West but not so bad. These are inside and don't show outside. Must be in the brieze blocks only. Didn't think it was subsidence as cracks would start from bottom (wrong!). Have been told by a non-professional to fill with epoxy resin. How will this help? Will it stop further movement? As I say only minor at moment maybe. At what stage should I start really panicking? Should I listen for anything?

Sponsored Links
Have been told by a non-professional to fill with epoxy resin.

Was he the Araldite rep? Might take a few tubes, and you would have to work very fast

Your description of the crack is vaguer than a blurry thing on a foggy moor viewed through steamed up windows at night.

Some sort of description or a photo would be a huge help

Thanx for taking the trouble to reply. Do not have camera and would not know how to put photo on internet, sorry. I can only see crax inside. In the downstairs rooms they are only normal hairline from ceiling to skirting board but upstairs they are about inch wide. I cannot go in loft as I have a phobia but will get a builder to look. Problem is though is how to choose the right builder for the job. I'll get 3 quotes as advised.

Sponsored Links
Thanx for taking the trouble to reply. Do not have camera and would not know how to put photo on internet, sorry. I can only see crax inside. In the downstairs rooms they are only normal hairline from ceiling to skirting board but upstairs they are about inch wide. I cannot go in loft as I have a phobia but will get a builder to look. Problem is though is how to choose the right builder for the job. I'll get 3 quotes as advised.

I know you didn't get a survey done, but surely a 1 inch crack would be pretty hard to miss? Or was it strategically hidden behind a wardrobe or something?

Is the house standard brick / block construction?
Seems strange that the crack could be an inch wide inside and not show at all outside. Is your house rendered? My first thought would be that it's been filled externally.

If I were you I'd get an engineer's report done. They will want to monitor the crack to see if the movement is ongoing. If you repair and the movement hasn't stopped it will crack again, either in the same place or somewhere else.
An engineer might suggest speaking to your insurance company too, depending on their findings.

It was hidden by a fitted wardrobe north/east side. The south/west is in a built in cupboard. The outside is hanging tiles on the top tier. The bottom is proper brick and no cracks outside there.
When you say get an engineer I take it that is a structural surveyor? I shall have to find one in the yellow pages, is there anything I should look out for when choosing one?
What will they actually do when they come out?

Can you explain the location of the cracking as this will determine likely casues -
ie are they on external or internal walls
are they in corners or middle of walls or by windows doors etc
are they even width or wider at one end
are they vertical or diagonal
are the walls plasterboard (hollow when taped) or solid plaster

External walls, but until I can get in loft I won't be able to see the extent. I have got to get a loft ladder fitted and a light up there.
The cracks are in the middle of the rooms away from any windows or doors. They are vertical. Wider at top than bottom in bedrooms where they go into a hairline crack to the living room and finish a quarter of way down. Coving still intact and not affected in both rooms. Walls are solid plaster.
Outside walls not visible due to hanging tiles which are still level and haven't moved. Though brick at the bottom my garage is adjoined one side and next door's garage is adjoined the other so cannot see house walls. Garages have their own walls.

Are all your doors still hanging straight? Is there a layer of bricks you can check for level? Are your floors level? Have you got a 4 ft spirit level?

Yes to first 3 questions. Spirit level might be 3ft (don't suppose that makes a difference?)
How long would it take to get a crack like that do you think?
How long before it might move do you reckon?

Yes to first 3 questions. Spirit level might be 3ft (don't suppose that makes a difference?)
How long would it take to get a crack like that do you think?
How long before it might move do you reckon?

Longer spirit level should in theory give you a more accurate reading of how far out of level things are.

If built on made ground the crack could have appeared over a fairly short period of time if there was a sudden movement, or, more likely, the movement could be much more gradual.

It might never move again if it has stopped, or it might be on the move right now, which is why the crack needs monitoring. You can do this yourself by buying tell tales such as these http://www.rstinstruments.com/Tell Tale Crack Monitors.html and taking readings over a period of a few months.

There's no point doing any remdial work until you are sure the movement has ceased. If the movement has stopped you could fill with resin, but a better, although more intrusive solution would be to stitch using helibar.
The BRE actually recommend localised rebuilding for 25mm cracks.

I'm surprised nothing else seems to be out of line though...
:confused: :eek:

This is why it is a puzzle. When thinking of buying I checked outside walls, roof, original concrete driveway etc. Viewed inside, checked all external and interior doors including built-in cupboard doors. All original including original kitchen.
Concrete floors all level.
When showing someone around when it was empty they said that is unusual to bring the wiring for the electrical socket down the wall it is always upwards. I said that the crack is nothing to do with the wiring and that is when I was told if its not you are in serious trouble.
I hadn't thought of subsidence or heave because I thought the widest bit of the crack would be at the bottom.
The narrower crack on the other side would not have been noticed as it goes into a built-in cupboard upstairs. I only noticed a hairline crack as I was sitting on the stairs waiting for the removal men and followed it out of boredom.
Last year the man had told me he had removed a tree from his garden as it was leaning into next doors garden and broken a fence panel. The tree would have been about 12 feet from the house. I am on clay soil so is it possible that could have something to do with it?
Sorry about being so long winded but if you don't know the full story you won't be able to help.
Thanks for your replies.

I doubt you could get the sort of cracking inside and not outside for any other reason than shrinkage. Just fill them and forget them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back