epoxy resin

Sponsored Links
I hadn't thought of subsidence or heave because I thought the widest bit of the crack would be at the bottom.

Depends on where the subsidence or heave takes place. Subsidence at the corner of a building will cause the cormer to rotate so the crack will be bigger at the top. Heave centrally under the wall will push the wall up in the middle, again causing the crack to be larger at the top.

Last year the man had told me he had removed a tree from his garden as it was leaning into next doors garden and broken a fence panel. The tree would have been about 12 feet from the house. I am on clay soil so is it possible that could have something to do with it?

Possibly. Could cause heave as the ground re-hydrates. Would need to know the type of tree and it's height when removed to get a better picture.

Sorry, you're on clay soil? I think I read your original post wrong and when you said you were on an "in-fill" site I thought you meant a site that had previously been used as some kind of land-fill, making the ground much more likely to be unstable and unpredictable.

Sorry to confuse you. Me and about another 10 houses are on an in-fill part of an estate which is predominantly clay, as is the surrounding town. Me and another house are on in-fill with the other 8 just their gardens. This is shown by grid markings on the plan. I have lived nearby for over 30 years never knowing this. It was originally brick works with their own rail track, puggy etc.
What they in-filled it with must have been clay when they were digging the foundations for the first houses they built. No that cannot be right because when I moved to the area it was just a muddy track. On the plan it definitely say in-fill, maybe the land was built up. I can only go by what I am told officially but now I have my doubts.
I found out this morning that the tree was a conifer planted in 1978/79 and the trunk was the size of a large dinner plate. It was taken out 2009. Don't know height.

It's a complete waste of time speculating on the cause of a crack from a text description and details of what was thereon the land before.

It could be anything

In the absence of any images then you really need to get someone around to have a look at it

Sponsored Links
In the absence of any images then you really need to get someone around to have a look at it

Yup, said that in my first post on this thread ;) A 25mm crack is worrying under any circumstances and needs monitoring, as I keep saying.
An engineer's report will give answers or suggestions for finding those answers. We've helped all we can. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back