Euro6 compliance

Clean air, clean water, clean food, clean bottoms, what's not to like?

No sensible person would argue against such things, but the air quality and the need to drive less polluting vehicles isn't the problem for me, its the way it's been implemented.
Khan, when asked, said that he had no plans to expand the original ULEZ zone.....then he got reelected and.... suprise suprise!

I haven't followed it very closely but I believe he had a decent public mandate for the first ULEZ? As far as I'm aware, there was a public consultation on expanding it up to the North & South Circulars, between May and July of 2022? He certainly pledged in his re-election campaign to expand it to (but not including) the North & South Circulars. I also think his re-election manifesto contained the pledge:

"“Beyond the expansion of ULEZ, I’ll monitor all existing road-charging schemes to ensure they continue to bring the maximum benefits of improved air quality and reduced congestion, and I’ll identify where further action is needed to eradicate hotspots for air pollution.”

He represents everything I hate about politicians, he's certainly no worse than a Tory.

He is a lying, sneaky POS, if he really cared about air quality he would've just banned the older vehicles outright. We are supposed to be worrying about the health of the little kiddies, the same ones who spend all their time sucking on vapes, hanging around fast food shops and stabbing each other? There are other priorities!

I think the point is that they get to choose whether or not they want to vape or eat crap food, whereas they don't get the choice of what air to breathe? Also, as far as I'm aware, it's not only children who are vulnerable, it's also the elderly. I agree there's a degree of hypocrisy in not banning vehicles over 40 years old though.

There are so many ways they could have done this, road space rationing would probably reduce daily emissions just by reducing the amount of time that vehicles spent sitting idle in traffic. The ULEZ expansion certainly hasn't reduced congestion on London roads.

That does suggest that enough people seem to have ULEZ-compliant vehicles for it not to have visibly reduced the number of vehicles? In any case, they tend not to make much by way of NOx or particulates when sat in traffic.

He could've given a decent timeframe for ULEZ to come into place, less than a year is not long enough for people to replace their older vehicles, all it did was drive up the price of second hand cars!

The price of second hand cars went up anyway, nationally, not just in London, because off the shortage of new vehicles, this last few years.

A three year window and a more generous scrappage scheme would've been much less traumatic.

How would the scrappage scheme have been funded?

People were and are paying silly money for ULEZ compliant but high mileage vehicles, that will probably need replacing sooner rather than later. This whole scheme has become very expensive for the motorist, and very wasteful. Perfectly good condition and well maintained vehicles getting crushed, for a fraction of their original value. Madness! (Not to mention all those expensive cameras that have been cut down and chucked in the river....raise a glass for the blade runners )

I won't even go into the air quality on the London Underground...

Why should the vehicles have been crushed? Surely they could have been sold outside of London?

Sponsored Links
so would you hhave to have it reclassified as something? I'm sure you must be able to t a new motor in

years ago I helped a mate put a perkins diesel in an old landrover - that sort of thing must be still do-able

For cars first used before September 2002, you can throw an older engine in, and the MOT should go on the age of the engine, rather than the car. However, you'll need to be able to prove the age of the engine. For a car registered after then, the emissions test goes on the age of the car, so it wouldn't help you.

"Vehicles fitted with a different engine​

If a vehicle first used before 1 September 2002 is fitted with an engine that’s older than the vehicle, you must test it to the standards applicable for the engine. The vehicle presenter must have proof of the age of the engine.

If a vehicle first used on or after 1 September 2002 is fitted with a different engine, you must test it to the emissions standards for the age of the vehicle."

years ago I helped a mate put a perkins diesel in an old landrover - that sort of thing must be still do-able
Can be done but you must then notify the DVLA of the change including evidence of the new engine number and what the new engine is.
They may then want an inspection of the vehicle depending on what was changed.
If a lot has changed (such as an entirely different engine or fuel) then you are going down the rabbit hole of extensively modified / kit vehicles which have a whole pile of things to comply with.

Can be done but you must then notify the DVLA of the change including evidence of the new engine number and what the new engine is.
They may then want an inspection of the vehicle depending on what was changed.
If a lot has changed (such as an entirely different engine or fuel) then you are going down the rabbit hole of extensively modified / kit vehicles which have a whole pile of things to comply with.

They're especially touchy when someone writes in, saying they've changed it to electric - mainly because they're going to lose out on some tax! The problem with DVLA, is that they're a very non-technical organisation, trying to make technical decisions about cars. They should leave it to the more technical government agencies (DVSA or VCA) but they try and make these decisions themselves - usually messing things up in the process!

Sponsored Links
Also in the standard.
The lying midget...

Attachments

• 20240207_193549.jpg
    20240207_193549.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 27
Lies, damned lies, and made up statistics.

Sounds like a fair enough ruling to me. Three complaints upheld, three rejected.

It was stupid that they didn't use figures for NO2 reduction from the actual air quality sensors around the city. They should already have that data.

If supposedly only 10% of vehicles weren't already compliant, (and the central ULEZ has already cleaned up a lot of the air in central London anyway), it's difficult to see how the expansion can make much more than 10% difference.

Sounds like a fair enough ruling to me. Three complaints upheld, three rejected.

It was stupid that they didn't use figures for NO2 reduction from the actual air quality sensors around the city. They should already have that data.

If supposedly only 10% of vehicles weren't already compliant, (and the central ULEZ has already cleaned up a lot of the air in central London anyway), it's difficult to see how the expansion can make much more than 10% difference.
It won't make any difference because in the mean time they've blocked access to residential roads and dug all main roads up, so there's bumper to bumper traffic everywhere.
That's without considering the gigantic cycle lanes totally unused.

It won't make any difference because in the mean time they've blocked access to residential roads and dug all main roads up, so there's bumper to bumper traffic everywhere.
That's without considering the gigantic cycle lanes totally unused.

Yes but a "snapshot" reading on any particular day, won't tell you very much either. They'll need to compare average readings across all the air quality sensors for every day in (say) January 22 and compare with those for January 23.

Yes but a "snapshot" reading on any particular day, won't tell you very much either. They'll need to compare average readings across all the air quality sensors for every day in (say) January 22 and compare with those for January 23.
Of course they don't do that.

Of course they don't do that.

That's what needs to happen. No point in having all these sensors all over the place if they don't use them! The initial data would have come from those sensors, so they just need to repeat whatever it was they did, to get the original data.

That's what needs to happen. No point in having all these sensors all over the place if they don't use them! The initial data would have come from those sensors, so they just need to repeat whatever it was they did, to get the original data.
They take readings when traffic is at gridlock.
They don't do any average.
It's all designed for our good and incidentally we get shafted...for our own good...always...
Not once, not once something that it's good for us has saved us money, never.
And incidentally, everything for our good, makes the rich a wagon of money every second...
I find this absolutely remarkable.

And incidentally, everything for our good, makes the rich a wagon of money every second...
As does "everything“ that is bad for us ("everything " being in quotes, as it's not really" everything "now, is it? ).

Rich people are rich because....... much of what they do, for good or for ill, makes them so.

Rich people are rich because....... much of what they do, for good or for ill, makes them so.
Or... because they have politicians in their pocket, imposing taxes and nonsense upon the working class and making us poorer...
And feeding us the fairytale that they're f#cking us for our own good...

They take readings when traffic is at gridlock.
They don't do any average.

Do you have any evidence for this assertion?

It's all designed for our good and incidentally we get shafted...for our own good...always...
Not once, not once something that it's good for us has saved us money, never.

I think a lot of ex-smokers might disagree with you, but... yeah... whatever...

I find this absolutely remarkable.

Actually, a lot of the stuff that's best for us, is actually free. (Walking, for example). As Brigadier says, there' plenty of stuff that's bad for us that makes money too...

Sponsored Links
Back