EuroBell Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
7C234114-6C34-49CA-A1B6-FE7333C5AED7.jpeg
Hi,

we recently moved into an old house that had both open reach and EuroBell sockets on the skirting board

I am removing them as they are redundant - the EuroBell one has two wires running down from above - are these mains electric wires?

apologies, I have no experience in this area!

Presumably I need an electrician to isolate?

thank you

Sponsored Links
Eurobell is part of Virgin now. They might possibly offer you fast Broadband connection, if you are in a street that they have cabled (likely). In my street there is a duct with "manhole covers" and little cable caps in the pavement. Show us the front of the connection box for a clue, please.

if the contract was cancelled years ago yours is probably disconnected, but you can't be sure. Is there another box inside or outside the front door?

Sponsored Links
It looks like an old telephone connection

we have had virgin put fibre in through the exterior wall in another room

oh right

then if they had any sense (not guaranteed) they would have disconnected the old lines. If you plug a phone in, do you hear anything?

mine has two sockets in the faceplate, only one fits a phone, the other is for broadband (and it has a cable for TV)

If there is another box near the front door you could look in it.

Anything plugged into a 13A socket should be marked BS1363, if not so marked, best not to use them as they can strain the socket and cause poor connections and resulting problems, so yes 13 amp blank plugs should in the main be binned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back