Failed switched plug socket

One of those cables is definitely aluminium. The uppermost 'live', (to the right of the picture), and the nearest earth are silvery coloured and appear to give the impression of ali. You need to be careful when re-connecting because, as ericmark says, they expand at different rates and shouldn't really be used in the same connection point.

Sponsored Links
One of those cables is definitely aluminium. The uppermost 'live', (to the right of the picture), and the nearest earth are silvery coloured and appear to give the impression of ali. You need to be careful when re-connecting because, as ericmark says, they expand at different rates and shouldn't really be used in the same connection point.

To Conny - I had been led to believe that (quite rare) aluminium wire was clad in copper. Obviously not then.

To Conny - I had been led to believe that (quite rare) aluminium wire was clad in copper. Obviously not then.

I only suggested it might be aluminium, because it could have been tinned copper. Yes, they used to tin copper wires. They also copper coated aluminium cable too, just to confuse things even more.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't have expected tinned copper, on a solid core 2.5mm2 T+E, circa 1984 though.

Possibly a trick of the light?

I wouldn't have expected tinned copper, on a solid core 2.5mm2 T+E, circa 1984 though.

Possibly a trick of the light?

No, it seemed to almost die out when cable sizes became metric, though I did come across tinned 1.5 and 2.5mm after metrication. The age of a house is only a rough guide to how old the wiring might be and it is quite possible to use old stock, years after it went out of general use. I still have some red and black T&E stashed away.

it does look to me more like aluminium (by colour) than old tinned copper.

I have seen aluminium cable, but it might have been in US.

The cables are not clear from the pic, but I have a feeling the kitchen fitters added an unfused spur to the old socket. It might be interesting to find out what it feeds. Perhaps the load is too high.

Aluminium in contact with copper corrodes quickly (you can get a special isolating grease)

No, it seemed to almost die out when cable sizes became metric, though I did come across tinned 1.5 and 2.5mm after metrication. The age of a house is only a rough guide to how old the wiring might be and it is quite possible to use old stock, years after it went out of general use. I still have some red and black T&E stashed away.

I didn't know that 2.5mm2 metric (solid I would therefore conclude) T+E was available after metrication (around 1970).

It is quite possible, for example, some old boy bought some of this around 1970, basically retired, and had some left to make a small alteration (the socket does look a spur) a decade and a half later.

Have certainly seen many houses where someone has made an addition to the installation using older looking materials that are older than the house itself.

The possibilities are of course endless.

Cut the aluminium conductors and the copper conductors back to where the metal is bright and untarnished. Slightly abrade the aluminium conductors with fine sandpaper/emery paper. Use wago connectors, with alu plus paste on the aluminium cable - the alu plus paste coats the aluminium conductors to prevent them from oxidising and thus going high resistance and heating up again. Then use tails of new 2.5mm copper cable to connect from the wagos to the new socket.

If you feel it's beyond your capabilities, I'd strongly recommend you get an electrician to do this. Dealing with aluminium cable is always tricky. The ideal answer would be to have all the aluminium removed and this should be your long term aim at least. The above should only really be a temporary fix until you can rewire.

Last edited:
I can't help thinking a few more photos would be an idea before we assume it's aluminium and needs a rewire...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back