European Super League

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like many top tiers of professional sport, football's got itself into a right tangle over player wages. If what I'm reading is correct, the drop in ticket and other sales revenue during covid coupled with having to pay many players ridiculous amounts of £££ has led to a financial squeeze.

• English Premier League salary 2018/19 | Statista

If you take Man City, in £ their average player salary for 18/19 was £6.3 million, roughly £121k per week. Now, let's imagine it was agreed globally that player wages should be capped at £2 million annually, roughly £38.5k weekly. So, no matter what club a player plays for, they can't earn more. The top players, even those purely driven by money, would still want the top club positions as they couldn't earn more elsewhere. For youngsters, the drive and ambition to get better and climb through the ranks would still be there, as earning tens of thousands a week would still be preferable to having a so-called ordinary job, no?

This is what makes me laugh whether in business or sport when people trot out the line 'it's what the market demands.' If the market capped the wages, those wanting to reach the top would still have that desire.

In short, the ridiculously high wages aren't needed.

And if anyone thinks the top clubs are still connected to their roots, even tenuously, they're deluded. Many of these clubs were maybe started by and for the average working person, look where they are now.

Sponsored Links
Like many top tiers of professional sport, football's got itself into a right tangle over player wages. If what I'm reading is correct, the drop in ticket and other sales revenue during covid coupled with having to pay many players ridiculous amounts of £££ has led to a financial squeeze.

If you take Man City, in £ their average player salary for 18/19 was £6.3 million, roughly £121k per week. Now, let's imagine it was agreed globally that player wages should be capped at £2 million annually, roughly £38.5k weekly. So, no matter what club a player plays for, they can't earn more. The top players, even those purely driven by money, would still want the top club positions as they couldn't earn more elsewhere. For youngsters, the drive and ambition to get better and climb through the ranks would still be there, as earning tens of thousands a week would still be preferable to having a so-called ordinary job, no?

This is what makes me laugh whether in business or sport when people trot out the line 'it's what the market demands.' If the market capped the wages, those wanting to reach the top would still have that desire.

And if anyone thinks the top clubs are still connected to their roots, even tenuously, they're deluded. Many of these clubs were maybe started by and for the average working person, look where they are now.

Pretty sure wage caps have been tried before. But anyway I agree with what most/all are saying, football, or rather the global business that has a sport attached to it is in a terrible mess.

If the wages don't go into the back pocket of players then they go into the back pocket of the owners.

I find it an abhorrent sight that when a team wins the Superbowl it's the owners who collect the trophy and are showered in praise - it's the deification of owners that I find objectionable.

I don't watch the game because of the owners largesse or philanthropy.

The lady I walk with most mornings is a life long Arsenal supporter. She reckons if Arsenal go ahead with it, they can "**** right off" and she’s going to support West Ham from then on.

Sponsored Links
So was mine. Are you stupid or what?
I'm not stupid...

You certainly appear to be!

So we'll try again shall we...

Do you agree with the 'elite' screwing over the vast majority?

When you answer questions I ask you, I’ll consider answering questions you ask me. Until then........

MOD: Sigh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back