Euthanasia.......any thoughts?

J

JulieL

Having written recently about my sick cat, (who's seem's to be holding his own at the moment)........I've found myself thinking a great deal about euthanasia - not only for terminally ill animals but also for humans.

Do any of you have any thoughts on this?

If any of you (or members of your family) were terminally ill.....would you consider this as an option?

Sponsored Links
My own opinion on this is that it should be allowed only in certain circumstances.

euthanasia should be allowed but only if the person is really ill and would be better off dead

Surely we have the right to say whether we want to live or die?...if euthanasia is illegal then so should sterilisation and vascectomy be....if ending a life is wrong....then so should preventing one be.

It my choice...i dont want to be sitting in a wheelchair when im 90 wetting myself being force fed boiled food, deaf...and almost blind.. with a nappy on....what quality of life is that??

I want to bbe able to say "right thats enough for me, ive had a great time....why delay the inevitable.....can i now have my injection please?"

We have the right to a reasonable quality of life..if we are not getting it then surely we have the right to end it...its our life....OURS!

Suicides....if someone wants to die....if they have had enough for whatever reason, then why not allow them to?...but allow them to die with dignity, maybe in a controlled environment, with a doctor and some friends or family if they want.

Surely thats better than jumping off a bridge, setting themselves alight or blowing their heads off???......because thats what they will do anyway.

If these people could go somewhere then perhaps some could also be prevented from doing it

Dogs cats and horses have more rights when it comes to being put down than we do.

Sponsored Links
I agree with the concept of "quality of life"

Personally,if I can no longer do things for myself,and become a burden on others,I would rather have someone pull the plug.

Years ago it seemed to be an accepted practice for the doctor to warn the family that time to let go was close and a dignified death followed shortly after the injection. But now the life is sweet brigade demand thet natural death is the only way, with many cases of drs being struck off and humiliated for doing the 'kindest thing'!! How it can be considered humane nowadays to stop all meds/ food etc and let you die naturally of suffocation, starvation or thirst is beyond me. I saw this at first hand with mother inlaw (84 and in poor health) who collapsed and was dead! when parameds got to her. they got her back! worked on her for 30 min she was on a resperator for 1 day when drs asked if we would agree to D.N.R as she was brain dead etc. Well I couldnt believe it when I realised just what 'dying naturally' in hospital means. They took out the resperator and drips and more or less just left her to die it took four hours!!! It was not a pleasant experience watching her unconcious body gasping for the last breath. On hindsight I now wish I had not phoned 999 then she would have stayed dead and gone with dignity.

I totally agree with the principal of letting someone go, as long as they want to. A few years ago, during discussions with the sister of the ward, where my mother was a patient, I spotted on her notes "DO NOT RESUSCITATE".

I was absolutely outraged. Although my mother was suffering from Parkinsons disease, this stay in hospital was for nothing more serious than a kidney infection. I demanded to know what was meant by the note. It was explained that, in the event of my mother having a heart attack (or other such seizure), no attempt would be made to resuscitate her. I asserted that this would not be her wishes, but they said, it's standard practice for patients of that age with degenerative diseases.

I demanded that they remove this from the notes immediately. At this time my mother had some problems with mobility, but still had all her mental faculties. They refused on the grounds that it was a "medical decision" that could only be made by a doctor.

Since I was refusing to budge, a doctor was called and a fairly heated argument ensued. He eventually deleted the note, But had the cheek to say, "it doesn't matter what it says on the notes though. If your mother has a heart attack, everyone on the ward knows your mothers age and that she has Parkinsons, so a clinical decision will be made at the time, not to resuscitate"

I decided not to let my mother know of this incident, as I was worried the stress would severely upset her. Besides, I was fairly confident that the issue wouldn't arrise. Due to her very healthy lifestyle, she had no history of heart trouble or strokes. Unfortunately, a few days later, another visitor mentioned the fracas to her and revealed all the details. She then went into panic mode, and wanted to leave the hospital immediately.

I was called and asked to go to the hospital as a matter of urgency as my mother had now become "unreasonable". When I got there the staff were in the process of getting her committed for her own good. The basis of this was that she was intending to leave the hospital without completing her treatment.

Bearing in mind that this treatment was merely for a kidney infection and I could totally understand her terror at being in the care of people that would simply allow her to die, I felt the concept of having her committed was totally inappropriate. I ended up taking her home for her own sanity.

As I say, I'm all for allowing someone to go, when they want to, but we should never judge what quality of life someone else needs, to be happy. It's surprising what level of handicap people learn to accept. What you may think is unacceptable while you have all your faculties can change when you find yourself in less fortunate circumstances.

My mother remained a constant source of wisdom and guidance to her dying day and a much valued part of the family. Obviously she found the lack of mobility frustrating, but no way was she ready to just slip away without a fight. I really think the doctors were way off base with this one.

Euthanasia? about time this subject was knocked on the head.

sorry

I'm all for it ----get rid of the church spouting supersticious rubbish and look at it in a practical; way and the answer must be yes, but i think it has to be done proper and only with your own consent when your mind is 100% or as near as.

Freddie said:
Euthanasia? about time this subject was knocked on the head.

sorry

I'm all for it ----get rid of the church spouting supersticious rubbish and look at it in a practical; way and the answer must be yes, but i think it has to be done proper and only with your own consent when your mind is 100% or as near as.
That's when it becomes a problem, if the patient cannot communicate because of coma or whatever, what should happen then? there have been several cases where the medical field have got their terminal illness diagnosis wrong. Otherwise i'm sure legislation would have come in long ago, I'm all for those that want it and can justify it but when there is uncertainty whose right is it to make the decision for another?

so is this for teminally ill or can we apply it to refugees peadophiles drug dealers etc

seriously though i have seen natural death and it isnt pleasent we are meant to be civilised so lets show some compassion to the dying

there is a machine on the market that can be bought openly in australia or newzealand , it is a carbon monoxide machine you strap it on set the timer then go to sleep in your sleet the timer kicks in and you die

not my sort of way to go but its out there now might even be one on ebay by now

I agree with Slogger!!! its the second time :eek:
is that what Dr Shipman was into??

Euthanasia... in certain cultures suicide is an accepted practice. That isn't to say that it is welcomed, I would guess that even after a ritual suicide the family will be rather upset.

Now, people say "I wouldn't want to be a burden... wetting my pants... eating through a straw..." and then go on to say "It's MY choice when I die". I disagree. Your death affects many other people. Why should you be given the legal right to take away a family member from someone else? It is a technicality that YOU are that family member.

So, you might argue "What if my wife, children, grandchildren all agreed that I was a pants-wetting invalid? I could then get them to agree that I am better off dead." To that I would point out that it is wholly unreasonable to ask someone "So, do you think your <insert family member> should die today?"

Of course, in this country "euthanasia" usually refers to inducing death through some means such as lethal injection. This is what I disagree with above, which you could call "unnatural" or "active" euthanasia.

However, termination of life support, cessation of resuscitation, stopping medication and so forth are also euthanasia. This is already done in this country, and it is always a case-by-case basis. This is allowing someone to die naturally by stopping some or all of the medical treatment, and I'm sure we have all heard someone say "Well, (s)he had a good innings. To be honest, death is something of a release". Most of us have probably said it ourselves, I know I have.

So, to summarise I would say that euthanasia "because they are a burden" is definitely NOT right. However, I believe that euthanasia because "they were permanently unconscious, with no sign of improvement so life support was switched off" is right. And is already done within the confines of the law and the Hippocratic Oath. Most of you will die this way.

My dear old Granny (b1903) used to say some very forward things considering her era. I miss her and her wisdom terribly.

One of her pearls was, "if they were an animal, the vet would put them out of their misery, but because they're human, they are forced to live beyond what nature intends." Talking about terminally ill folk with 0 quality of life.

And when her time came, it was agony to see this extremely proud, independent lady reduced to a cheyne-stoking, pain-wracked carcass.

I don't mind admitting I desperately wanted to help her die, but couldn't.

The (male) nurse was very good. He said he would stop feeding her, then she would gradually fade away, which we thought was for the best. But here's the crunch. A Doctor who thought he knew best told the nurse nonsense, what are you doing man - give this patient a PEG feed immediately.....

....and she lived in agony another 6 days.

I still see that Dr today, and he knows I hate him, and why.

My Dad died from cancer slowly and at home. Towards the end the doc was calling every day to inject morphine for the pain and my ma was begging him to end it quickly. The doc said he would slightly up the dosage of the morphine but that was all he could do.

A year later my Nan had a fall and went into hospital. They decided she couldn't look after herself properly after that and she went into a nursing home. These homes are pretty awful places and we got her moved three times before we got her into one that was half-way reasonable but she still hated it and she deteriorated quickly both mentally and physically as there was nothing to occupy her. People in these homes sit in front of a television all day waiting to die. At night they are put to bed at 8pm to make life easier for the staff. They lose the will to live as there is nothing to live for. These nursing homes turned her from a healthy and independant 80 year old into someone who wanted to die as the quality of her live was so awful.

I think I would like to have euthanasia available at the discretion of doctors.

Sponsored Links
Back