EV cable left exposed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
EV Charge installer came today and left a 7KW wire exposed (see image) in the hall.
When my wife sent this image I could not believe it.
Unfortunately I am isolated 110 miles from home.
Can she continue to charge the car or should we shut it down and wait for someone competent to fix it?
IMG-20210203-WA0003.jpg

Sponsored Links
Surface mounted cable is unsightly but electrically fine - a bit lazy of the installer. You can finagle a bit of trunking to conceal it at your leisure.

In no way does that present any type of hazard from what we can see there - it just doesn't look very tidy. It's aesthetically lacking as electrical installation goes, as the previous poster suggested, but otherwise there's nothing specifically wrong or dangerous about exposed insulated and sheathed electrical cable.

Thanks guys for the reassurances.
I guess she can put furniture in front of it until I am back home ready to finagle some trunking.

Sponsored Links
It would be useful to see what's at both ends of that cable.
If that's the best the 'EV Charge installer' can do, then the rest of the installation could be a total disaster.

It’s a shame they couldn’t be bothered to vacuum their mess up either? And the hole for the cable from the right looks very oversized.

What are you actually worried about?

That bit of exposed cable on the left going round that woodwork?

That won't harm you at all, in fact it's allowed - although cables vulnerable to damage should be protected.

It's been done very lazily, in fact the trunking isn't even straight - I think they started fitting on top of the skirting board and then had to go uphill where there is already a telephone cable clipped to the surface.

As regards to the unprotected cable, the chances are that he could have drilled behind that wood work, so you wouldn't see anything on the wood, and would have looked so much better.

They are EV installers, they don't care.

Would like to see the mains end, and the charger end - this should give us a better idea on how good this install is.

Sorry you will not like this, however it is true, people work to the standard of those before them, be it the OpenReach mess or painting socket except where the plug was. Yes wrong, but it is human nature.

Can't say it is wrong, but not some thing I would want my name on. But I am retired, and I do not need to make money, and no way am I going on a course to fit EV charge points, to be frank it is a mine field as to what is allowed, the traditional rules would stop charging points being fitted to many homes, and new ideas have been implemented to allow EV charge points to be fitted.

@flameport makes a good point, but still nothing wrong with what is shown.

Also, it is a 240V cable, the same as any other exposed cable in your home.

Are you worried about (what might be) the 3kW kettle lead?

IMG-20210204-WA0006.jpg
Here is the installation inside the meter cupboard.

Last edited:
Hmmm in the meter cupboard the coloured cable ties on the grey feed cables to the new CU/Isolator are the wrong way round, hopefully it's just the cable cable ties otherwise the installation polarity will be incorrect, this needs to be checked. Also the cover on the left henley block appears to be cracked, if they were fitted by the installer then they should be called back to replace it. Overall it's rough but I've seen far worse.

Incredibly good point about those coloured ties on the new tail cables - it does suggest live and neutral could be reversed - and does need checking as soon as possible.

Is that a data cable that is run along with the 7kw flat cable ion the trunk?

Maybe he didn't originally do it because he did not have the dogleg cover with him so needed to go get one - hence why he returned to sort it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back