EV Charger 100A Looped Supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Planning on speaking to the DNO tomorrow just wondered if anyone has any experiences of having a looped supply AND a 100A service fuse? I've googled about but cant seem to find if the installer would want a dedicated supply to install a 7KW charger. All the examples I can see is with a looped supply and 60A/80A Fuse, which do need "un-looping". Thanks.

upload_2021-7-18_14-35-35.png
upload_2021-7-18_14-36-2.png
upload_2021-7-18_14-36-39.png

Sponsored Links
The 100amp on the holder indicates the maximum fuse size. The actual fuse fitted may be 60 or 80 possibly 100amp.

ask the DNO when you call them.

As far as I’m aware, regardless of fuse size, an EV is not permitted on a looped supply, of any size.

Certainly in my area, Western Power will ‘unloop’ the supply for free

Cheers both. I thought the 100A label meant there was a 100A fuse on the inside. Hopefully the neighbour won't mind his prize winning garden being dug up :(

Strange it's even looped. Detached house built in the mid 90's...

Sponsored Links
Cheers both. I thought the 100A label meant there was a 100A fuse on the inside. Hopefully the neighbour won't mind his prize winning garden being dug up :(

Strange it's even looped. Detached house built in the mid 90's...

There’s a few ways that they can do it. I’d leave it to your DNO to sort, they can deal with all the arrangements with the neighbour.

They must have been some of the last to be looped, not a permitted practice anymore, definitely haven’t come across any fitted later than around 1998

They can open your garden and joint to the looped feed to the neighbour, not disturbing their garden. It will be a trench in yours to the main in the street.

They are obliged to do it for free if your installing EV, but they obviously reclaim costs through the government’s initiative.

Client quoted £6645 to unloop supply last week for an EV charger...plus the cost of groundworks once they are finished and then upgrade CU and test...will come to over ten grand....SSEN rip off

They can open your garden and joint to the looped feed to the neighbour, not disturbing their garden. It will be a trench in yours to the main in the street.

They are obliged to do it for free if your installing EV, but they obviously reclaim costs through the government’s initiative.
Can you tell or show me where it says they are obliged to do the work for free if its for an EV charge point...Thanks

As far as I’m aware, regardless of fuse size, an EV is not permitted on a looped supply, of any size.

Certainly in my area, Western Power will ‘unloop’ the supply for free
So does this apply if you are on the end of the loop rather than have the looped in section on your property, seems like another reason not to buy an EV.

Both PME and looped the only person who knows 100% is the DNO. One is with some contracts obliged to inform the DNO when some loads are applied, welding sets for example, but each DNO it seems has their own rules, so you tell the DNO what you are doing, and what they do is down to them.

DNO contacted and the supply will have to be un-looped. According to my installer the DNO also stated that the supply will have to be un-looped before the install takes place and they will not accept using a load balancing sensor or charger on a lower setting while waiting for the un-looping to take place.

DNO contacted and the supply will have to be un-looped. According to my installer the DNO also stated that the supply will have to be un-looped before the install takes place and they will not accept using a load balancing sensor or charger on a lower setting while waiting for the un-looping to take place.
Thanks. Did they say if the unlooping was chargeable (how much?).. who is your DNO?

I've been thinking about that suggestion :)

If the 'looping' is directly between the two buildings (rather than going through the OP's garden), I would think that 'disruption of the neighbour' could only be avoided if the supply to the neighbour continued to go through the OP's house (via existing service head), with a totally new supply from the main to a new cutout being installed for the OP's house?

Kind Regards, John

I've been thinking about that suggestion :)

If the 'looping' is directly between the two buildings (rather than going through the OP's garden), I would think that 'disruption of the neighbour' could only be avoided if the supply to the neighbour continued to go through the OP's house (via existing service head), with a totally new supply from the main to a new cutout being installed for the OP's house?

Kind Regards, John

depends how the ‘loop’ part is run. If it goes back out the house and into next door then, it would be cut near the house and jointed to a new cable from the road. Or even near the boundary to avoid disruption to the neighbour. but yes if it runs internally to next door (terraced house or back to back in a semi etc) then the only way would be to resupply the neighbour

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back