EV Charger 100A Looped Supply

depends how the ‘loop’ part is run. If it goes back out the house and into next door then, it would be cut near the house and jointed to a new cable from the road. ...
Agreed, but if the loop went back outside and through garedens, I'm surprised that they would have bothered to do it as a looped supply - since, other than for an extra few feet of cable, it would presumably have been essentially just as easy for them to install separate supplies.
... but yes if it runs internally to next door (terraced house or back to back in a semi etc) then the only way would be to resupply the neighbour
That's what I had always assumed was the 'usual' situation with looped supplies- i.e. that the loop either ran 'internally' or, at least, 'under the properties'. Maybe I'm wrong in that assumption?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I think the rules change as it's convenient, This pic was the supply for purpose built corner shop whic has now been converted to 2 flats. There is another box looped from the adjacent building which is for the accomodation above. There are 3 charging points on the building, 2 of which are on this box and the other is on a looped supply.
qVMpsll7tTcb8a3Rq4q9e-bwUmxCtOA3Yk70MclzFDrfxafj50lnQZlXvBCHU12LbKdOYLOauGmHUVOiX1zmzBSj5ZQo2ZrD08bA894gVkp455jXVqwMJMQ7xGl_EQdjndy3-MRLzM1nVymC4AVJqyQZsdOtFVOQkEqs67dTA8q0P7YiVj6wULEl3E3Wa7VCinxutiyaxFvh8oEbdZAsvkJboV6n7Xuo0LqejWo4aI_b9qYyGM-sinqGDpTCLx5JVeaSx6tEKk7gaCQE5xMi0Qc06G4ly32ee5XoQTOaRuHfqLJ5qn3Gyy-PnxvN5d9G4aeHFPjxBlJ3VEQ27Eq2WWxEkLLtadIOiWPTVR5_mzjeCTy-_1sRehZjAzkBKn8upqVzVZMB0JVW39JWH0eX2lxo8uyCt8rZsMkta9g9HTfGpafadDq2R9KSdR4sDafmBVu5JZNfernJYBJzrszYKroCVFEqvQy276ohnQu2_T5SHCPBc3TtetNRMeJb12OhCfUuvtgToHKmJr12YPr2M6zlhkAINvZN7Wryq88_sRRQE2HUgkjP4ccdyHWddzZRvWll0ArJrFY2dcAc_jdQupQ1Bavx6DkUYZTGk_MHpbb-scgqGTCFYMwGKAf15b7tiWFippWrRTRr_DTR4du35G4sQBae89vW9H_MGj-FooqokqZUMlw__UfWIE3vgjgcmvgKXSEBmCG-4TB8CfHhe40=w362-h643-no

upload_2021-7-23_20-27-7.png
does this work?
I think the rules change as it's convenient, This pic was the supply for purpose built corner shop whic has now been converted to 2 flats. There is another box looped from the adjacent building which is for the accomodation above. There are 3 charging points on the building, 2 of which are on this box and the other is on a looped supply.

upload_2021-7-23_20-27-7.png

Sponsored Links
I have seen mostly as described, terraces and back to back under the stairs usually in semis

Have also seen three together on one loop, where they looped through the front gardens, in this case not sure why they didn’t take each cable back to the road

have also seen houses looped in pairs where they had longer front gardens to avoid long runs for each house

The weirdest I ever saw was a house fed from a main across the road, the service cable passed by a streetlight and into the house. The streetlight was fed in 4mm straight con, but was looped out the bottom of the cutout, literally the furthest it could be from the main. Only thing I can think it was to avoid another joint for the streetlight. In this case the supply was being moved so the streetlight just got jointed to the cable to the house where it was cut to the extended

do they know it’s for an EV charger? Normally It’s a chargeable job but I believe for ev and renewables it has to be done for free under ofgems R110-Ed1 commitments
Oh Yes they know what its for and still want 6.5 grand

Oh Yes they know what its for and still want 6.5 grand

Could it be that there is other network reinforcement required by SSEN along with unlooping in order to provide enough power with the charge being related to that?

When I got my supply unlooped my DNO stated that there would not be any additional reinforcement of their network required and the unlooping would be free.

So can I infer from an earlier post here that I can fit an EV charger if I have a 60amp main fuse (on a non-looped supply)? I thought that it had to be 100amp.

So can I infer from an earlier post here that I can fit an EV charger if I have a 60amp main fuse (on a non-looped supply)? I thought that it had to be 100amp.

that’s up to your electrician to determine that you won’t overload the available supply. You do also have to inform your DNO that you are proposing to connect an EV charger to their network

My son had a looped supply in last house, it seems the guy wiring up the council houses when they were built took it upon himself to loop supplies likely dating to 1930's but the DNO records showed not looped.

He wanted to move the meter, it was in his old kitchen, the supply went to his house under the ground, and he put an outside meter box where it came out of the ground, and wired his new consumer unit from that point, and was given a price to move supply, it was not until the DNO arrived on site did they realise it was a looped supply, clearly with no way leave in place, and the cable to next door would need removing as both houses were building extensions where the cable ran.

It caused the DNO a real headache, sons supply was easy bit, it was next door which was problem, new drive laid, and owners not keen on having it lifted, never did find out how the got around the problem, but son was using a temporary supply from old fuse box to new consumer unit for long enough.

However I can understand the high DNO charges to change a supply, they must have lost money on his house.

They must have been some of the last to be looped, not a permitted practice anymore, definitely haven’t come across any fitted later than around 1998
I was on a new estate being wired up by whoever MEB is now in 2006 and they were laying a 35 Milli straight con for each pair of semis.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back