Everything flickering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The other day, during a thunderstorm, I didn't think anything about some lights flickering in our bungalow. But now I notice, still, occasional, random bouts of flickering lights and other appliances e.g. TVs that are on separate circuits, flickering and stuttering. 3 times today I've switched a TV and every light and appliance in the house stuttered. Just tried it again but all was OK. Is it possible that this is an external problem or does it point to a fault within the house? Seems very sporadic (nothing strange is happening right now).

Sponsored Links
You could have a loose connection on the supply. Are any of the neighbours having the same symptoms? Don't just try next door, as often houses in the same street have three different supplies. Try 3 doors down.

If the fault is inside the house, it is likely to be at or near the fusebox, such as the main meter tails being loose.

Or inside the fusebox (aka consumer unit).
A loose connection there will cause the problem. Get an electrician in.

I highly recomend NOT doing this..

but if you're feeling brave you could put on a pair of rubber gloves and give the grey wires from the meter a little wiggle..

if you hear a crackling sound, or the lights flicker when you do then call your supplier immediately and tell them about it..
they should be out to you in about an hour..

Sponsored Links
Do you have a neigbour who is doing car repairs with a whacking great welding machine? if you are on the same phase this could be the reason.

Wotan

You could have a loose connection on the supply. Are any of the neighbours having the same symptoms? Don't just try next door, as often houses in the same street have three different supplies. Try 3 doors down.

If the fault is inside the house, it is likely to be at or near the fusebox, such as the main meter tails being loose.

I'd start by asking neighbours too. Then if they are having the same problem phone the electric board out.

Next door hadn't had a problem (at least). I hoped it was all going away :rolleyes: - because of no major glitches just occasional flicker. Then twice today, big stutters in the power, the second one switched the TVs off. I stood by the meter and when the light flickered again I heard a crackle/sizzle from the meter area.

I called the emergency number on the our (EDF) bill. They said they'd send someone today or tomorrow! :eek: And that if it's the meter, then it's not their job; it's the "supplier - who you pay your bill too". I said I got his number from the EDF bill. He said "we're 'EDF network'...the supplier is 'EDF energy'". The number for them on he bill is only mentioned in relation to bill enquiries. I asked should I call them too, and he said "no, we're responsible for checking the safety of the network". Clear as mud.

So I don't know what's going to happen if and when they come if they say it's the meter but it's not their job.

Yeah, the great british electricity industry - BRILLIANT when the customer actually needs something doing. :rolleyes:

It is true though that EDF are both a supplier and a DNO.

My supplier is scottish gas and my DNO is CE electric. I live in yorkshire. ;) I would need to ring Scottish gas if i had a fault with my supply. Although for such as power cuts, I'd phone CE's emergency number.

Update...

Electrical stuttering was getting worse and I could now hear definite crackling coming from the box that connects to the meter. And it's next to the gas pipes and meter. I phoned EDF again, and told them I'm not leaving this overnight. A different person this time agreed - was it because I've now identified it's definitely their responsibility, I wonder(?)- and sent someone around within half an hour. Although he seemed better than the first bloke who didn't seem to give a toss; definitely sounded like it's would have been tomorrow otherwise.

Electrician was nice chap, but he tried but couldn't pull out the 'thing' in the plastic box because the lower contacts were welded (this is all live! :eek: . He said he wouldn't be able to get it back in again if he did and we'd lose power, so someone's coming tomorrow at 9 a.m. to put in a new whole box 'thing'. Said the problem was a pin-size hole causing a spark which heats and expands..vicious circle.

BTW, he said he personally works for both parts of EDF and can do meters too, but some others can't. Most confusing.

Anyway, mind's at rest: there'll be a bit of flickering overnight, alright as long as it's not overloading (shouldn't) and smelling/getting hot (if so I have to turn off consumer unit).

Woffling, but thought someone might be interested (and it's therapeutic).:)

Glad you've got is sorted (ish).

Providing you keep your loading light, such as the odd light and the telly, there shouldn't be a problem overnight.

It seems with all the DNOs these days you have to stamp your feet before they will actually do anything :rolleyes:

Hopefully the cutout change tommorrow will be easy, and you'll be back to normal. :)

Even electricity suppliers dont fit meters - they subcontract this to metring companies, such as Meterplus. EDF being so big might do it themselves, but most dont. Meterplus look after installation and reading of meters in our area.

In short, its a joke.

God you have my sympathy - EDF sound awful! Are they always this bad?

If it was Western Power, they'd be out right away to sort it purely on safety grounds, regardless of who the billing company was.

I have similar problems with UU. They always sound in the office like it's a real emergency, then when the geezer saunters round, he says,

"Na, pal, can't do that today. I'll be back tomorrow..."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back