Evolution of language

Sponsored Links
So what are peoples views on virtually?
Interestingly, whilst all, or nearly all, dictionaries have the meaning of "nearly"/"almost", only some of them mention anything to do with "virtual"!

Then, of course, there is a whole host of words like "horribly", "terribly", "awfully" etc. etc. which EFLI presumably feels that we use incorrectly.

Kind Regards, John

Then, of course, there is a whole host of words like "horribly", "terribly", "awfully" etc. etc. which EFLI presumably feels that we use incorrectly.
Ha ha. Funny you should say that.

Some dictionaries have defined terribly as simply meaning 'very' but surely it only (sort of) means that in bad ways - terribly burnt, horribly disfigured.
However some (radio presenters again) use them as I would consider wrongly - terribly good but not of course horribly good.

Awfully good or bad could be correct both ways because of its original and present meaning.
I wonder who started using awful to mean bad.

Sponsored Links
.... terribly good but not of course horribly good.
As you say, probably not (often!) "horribly good", but one sometimes hears things like "horribly precise" or "horribly efficient" etc. - but I think that then usually implies 'OTT', rather than just 'very'.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back