Exernal lighting power supply?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Im installing an external light (sensor type/PIR) above entrance door to block of 3 flats...
Thing is not sure of best place to take supply from.. There is an mcb breaker unit on each floor (one to each flat) on each staircase landing so to speak. Can i take the supply from one of the fuses (switches on unit) ?, - not in use at present. ?
This is the only power supply near to the external wall.- making cabling easier / more straight forward. Is it poss?? ta.

Sponsored Links
Don't forget, this will require notification under Part P if it's a new circuit.

Sponsored Links
Yes I am thanks.. ! and you? Whats you mean by the landlords DB?

Youre obviously a bunch of clowns.. say no more.. Im obviously better qualified than you lot.. nonses.. (northern!) And whats it gotta do with you wher i take suply from..! i got the permission.. ! derr.! pphhh ha!

Landlords distribution board, or AKA Communal DB for stairs and hallway lights etc.. the cost of electricity used by this board is liable to the landlord and not to one individual flat

Im obviously better qualified than you lot..

Thing is not sure of best place to take supply from.. There is an mcb breaker unit on each floor (one to each flat) on each staircase landing so to speak. Can i take the supply from one of the fuses (switches on unit) ?, - not in use at present. ?
This is the only power supply near to the external wall.- making cabling easier / more straight forward. Is it poss?? ta.

nonces

Yeah. Much better qualified. I'm a DIYer and I could have told you to look for the landlords DB. :rolleyes: I bow down to your superior knowledge.

GAVVO39, I am bemused, you said

Can i take the supply from one of the fuses (switches on unit) ?, - .................... Is it poss?? ta.

a question was aksed

Are you competent insured to be doing this sort of work?

to which you replied

Yes I am thanks.. !

but surely if you are qualified you would not have needed to ask the question in the first place?

and just because you do not like the replies does not mean you should resort to childish name calling

Youre obviously a bunch of clowns..

You will find most people on here are very helpful, and are concerned for the well being of those who ask's well being, and as you have not been forthcoming with any information about yourself that is why you have recieved such replies.

[;p="1039732"]
Yes I am thanks.. ! and you? Whats you mean by the landlords DB?

DB means draining board, you will usually find the the fuse box under the Draining Board in the landlords kitchen.

Just trying to help you out, no need for the insults.[/quote]

Right ok, cheers Holmslaw and T-Spark, helpful. Holmslaw , just thought u were mickey takin, but no offence obviously. I just on here for bit of advice/ help! see if iu can do job, am registered //qualified carpenter/handyman, but electrics not my strong point.
So i f I find and take it from db, is the db same as the consumer unit? i presume you mean. ? Another option take a spur from existing socket..? but there isnt one anywhere near external wall (unbelievably) where the lihght is goin, hence I asked original question. ciao..

So, if you opt for a new circuit will you be contacting the LABC to notify the work in line with Part P of the Building Regulations?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back