Exhaust grill for duct fan in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I want to install a new duct fan to extract air from the bathroom from the loft. Main reason for doing it this way rather than a wall mounted extractor is because I think it looks better and is a lot more quiet.

Regarding the exhaust grill in the loft, I'm not exactly sure how to do this? Do you buy kits that allow me to remove a roof tile, which seems like a big job I don't really want to do?

Alternatively, I have a loft installed combi boiler and the vent pipe from this runs directly fromt he top of the combi vertically and out the roof. Could I cut into this and use a connector to share the same exhaust pipe? I don't see why not?

:confused:

Sponsored Links
Dope, just realised why it might not be a good idea. Guessing it's exhausting CO2 from the combi and I wouldn't want this to leak into the bathroom.. :oops:

Are you sure you know what you are doing ? Venting a boiler and a bathroom have nothing whatsoever to do with each other and do not use the same pipes .

You can get a vent tile that will replace one of your existing tiles. Fitting the tile should be a very quick job. I got a local roofer to quote for fitting one for me and he just fitted it when he came round to quote, took about 15 mins and most of that was getting the ladders of the van. Other than its just an in-line fan and a length of flexible ducting. There is a guide to wiring the fan in the wiki but if you at all unsure get a pro in.

Sponsored Links
In most properties, the easiest option is to fit the outlet grille into the soffit.

As for using a boiler flue - NO.

Thanks for the advise guys, I went home last night and investigated whether I could use the soffit, which I think I can. Seems like the easiest option for now without having to get onto the roof. Also erradicates the risk of me causing a leak...

Mointaiwalker, yes I realise they have nothing to do with each other, but was wondering what the possibilities were regarding venting. It simply crossed my mind that they could potentially share a vent pipe, but as I said in my response, it didn't take long to realise that was a silly thought!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back