Existing loft conversion + stairlift

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an existing 3rd floor loft conversion with stairs that terminate on the 1st floor landing approximately 1m away from the main staircase.
My local council as part of a Disabled Facilities grant are looking to install a twin rail Stannah Siena stairlift with swivel seat.
I am slightly concerned that when 'parked' at the 1st floor level, the seat will obstruct the landing.
I have been given to understand that there are no requirements in the building reg's concerning available width of landings etc. The only requirements apply when a door or cupboard open over a landing.
Given the folded measurements of the chair is over half the width of the main staircase which is 82cm, the landing is 80cm and the loft stairs 60cm am I worrying needlessly.
We have 3 kids in the 4 bed house and all upstairs rooms are occupied. The fire officer recently visited for a free safety survey which we passed however he stressed the importance of keeping exit routes unobstructed in case of fire.
Chances are in the unfortunate event of a fire breaking out at night the upper floors will be occupied and the chair parked at the top.
Any guidance will be greatly appreciated as whilst I would dearly like to be able to access the shower I certainly do not want to put my family in harms way.

Sponsored Links
There are no regs for the minimum width of a landing - there is only guidance on the depth of the landing, which should normally be at least equal to the width of the stairs.

Ultimately, the only regulation is that the stairs shall be "safe", and this varies according to circumstances.

In a conventional single-family dwelling, it might be difficult to prove that your arrangement was going to be unsafe. It's really down to what you are comfortable with, and if you and your family could get used to the physical restriction and adapt to it.

Thanks tony1851, I thought that was the case. As the proposed chair will be a full swivel, when it is at the top it would be swivelled to face onto the main landing, and, as I gather it doesn't fold up when in that position, it will be a bit like leaving a simple office chair at the top of the stairs.
To further complicate the situation one of my kids has mild Aspergers and may find the whole thing difficult.

Sponsored Links
You can send the chair back down by itself and park it at the bottom of the stairs if that would help? The Stannahs have wall mounted switches as well as chair mounted ones, I think to allow someone to assist the user if neccessary.

Shug

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back