Existing steel beam in knock-through

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , I hope someone can give some advice/answers...

We have a kitchen-diner knock through in our recently purchased house. Having recently had some rewiring done, the steel I-beam has been partially revealed:
View media item 87920 View media item 87921The overlap between steel and brick is 5 inches/12cm at best (as far as I can tell).
The opening is 1.9m, the pictured part of the beam resting on brick and stud is ~0.7m and the other side looks to be a maximum of 20cm overlap based on the lumps and bumps in the decor! (therefore total beam length of 2.8m/110 inches).

I have 2 questions :

1) Is the beam sitting on enough brick wall? (5 inches)

2) If the answer to 1) is Yes, does this mean the rest of the wall (the stud partition bit) could be removed to widen the opening?

I presume they built the ~50cm stud wall so the kitchen units could be fitted against it on the other side.

I appreciate any comments. :)

Sponsored Links
Just to add, the knock-through has been there since at least 1998 with no apparent issues.

Can we assume that you are removing the yellow coloured wall section to the RIGHT of the new cable... as opposed to the left to join with the door.

Can we assume that you are removing the yellow coloured wall section to the RIGHT of the new cable... as opposed to the left to join with the door.

Sorry, quite an important detail - yes I wish to removed the yellow wall to the right and leave the brick 'pillar' and door intact.

Sponsored Links
Then, you should be ok removing the stud, like you say, likely to be an addition to fill the hole after the steel went in.

might be best to checkthe supports; uncover the steel ends and check you are happy that it is correctly supported rather than assuming. could easily take a few pics and upload on here if you need further help.

EDIT: I only say this as a DIY enthusiast who had the exact same situation, but had a builder friend check the steel supports for me before I went crazy with the demolition. (cost - a few beers).

Then, you should be ok removing the stud, like you say, likely to be an addition to fill the hole after the steel went in.

might be best to checkthe supports; uncover the steel ends and check you are happy that it is correctly supported rather than assuming. could easily take a few pics and upload on here if you need further help.

Thanks Andy.

So the 5 inch overlap is fairly ok/normal is it?

I will update when we get further with this.

Two things;

1. I am not sure you have a 5 inch overlap, looks closer to 4 inches in your picture, which is why it may be best to further uncover the steel ends so you can see what the overlap is.

2. I think the "ammount" of acceptable overlap is dependant on what the steel is seated on, is it on brick, pad stone, slate shims?

For these two reasons I think you need to uncover the steel if you want a finite answer.

I said I believe you are ok to take the studs out as it is likely that the steel was in before the stud, and therefore is not reliant on the stud.

and I also caveated with that I am only a DIYer and not professional, and I got advice before doing mine.

Hopefully others will be on here soon (usually are) who will be able to give you more confidence than I can...

Hope that helps...

Andy

It seems to me that before you do anything to the structure you should have it inspected by either a Structural Engineer or a qualified Building Surveyor. Yes it will cost for their visit but could be invaluable and cost effective in the long run - not to mention safer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back