Replacing supporting brick wall with stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to widen the hall way which is behind the brick wall showing in the attached picture. Is it possible for my new wall to be a stud wall instead of a brick wall? This wall will support a beam of timber 5 inch by 4 inch (see picture) which carry the floor of the room above it. A local builder came today and said I can not replace a brick wall with a stud wall, it has to be brick or block wall. Any advice please

Attachments

• 20200317_093752.jpg
    20200317_093752.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 443
Sponsored Links
You can put a steel beam in. Just have to have a post at either end. So you could make the middle really thin, but the posts and beam might be wider than the existing wall.

Internal walls are usually single skin so I can't see you saving much if anything at all

Internal walls are usually single skin so I can't see you saving much if anything at all
the existing on is a single wall. so, are suggesting that a block wall is the best choice.

the existing on is a single wall. so, are suggesting that a block wall is the best choice.

Bricks are only a few inches wide, same as a stud wall. See attached

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200318_205609_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200318_205609_com.android.chrome.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 251
Sponsored Links
Bricks are only a few inches wide, same as a stud wall. See attached
I am not on about the width both brick and block do the same job so the choice between them and the timber wall

I am not on about the width both brick and block do the same job so the choice between them and the timber wall

Did you mean you are moving the wall? It's worded like you felt putting a stud wall In would give you more room.

The builders already given you the answer, go with it. Blocks should cheaper as you need less off them.

Technically a stud wall can be made into a supporting wall, I have seen it in old houses, however I don't think you'll be able to find any trades willing to do this these days

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back