existing stud wall with no floor plate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I have been working a room in my house which and I need to replace the existing wooden floorboards to replace with ply for tiling. I removed skirtings and small area of plaster and found that the existing stud wall has no floor plate and that the upright sit on top of the floorboards. The wall has been up in this house for over 40 years (I have lived there all that time so probably longer). It presents a problem to me currently because the wall runs in the same direction as the joists but it sits on the floorboards above the void between the joists. Any thoughts on what I should do? if I leave the wall as it is I wont be able to replace all of the floorboards so will need to leave around 25 cm of floorboards and not sure this is then gonna be possible/great to tile on. Also should I be concerned by the stud walls construction?

I have added some photos the 3rd one is another section of wall in the same room but as you can see from photo this wall runs the other direction and has a part floor
stud wall 1.jpg
stud wall 2.jpg
stud wall 3.jpg
plate

Any advise would be a great help

Thanks Rob

Sponsored Links
I really dont want the floor level to be raised that much as outside the room and throughout the house we have sanded floorboards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back